Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting out of a slump

Bunchies95

I am sure this happens to everybody, but currently it feels like I am in a shooting slump. I still have the drive to practice, although I don't dryfire as much as I used to. It just seems like I am not shooting up to my potential. The good news is, my average performance is still improving. My consistency is going down the drain though. One stage I will shoot exactly how I know I can currently shoot (mid to high A class)but then others I have been tanking and shoot mid C class scores. This is happening in practice as well. I can have some beautiful runs on drills followed by horrible runs. I am starting to figure out how the best runs feel, but cannot keep that feeling from run to run. Some of it is because I try to replicate that run consciously.

How do you handle slumps? I am thinking of switching divisions for a month or two for a new perspective or take a short break and do something else.

I go back to executing the fundamentals. I go back to shooting targets at 2 yards if I have to shooting all As then back up the distance as I get back to seeing what I need to see, paying attention to the 'feel' aspect of grip stance index, etc. If your shooting sloppy in practice it should be no surprise if you shot sloppy in a match. Match time is just the time to go out and do what you know your capable of doing cause you have tried different things and you know what works and what doesn't. Switching guns may get you to put your attention somewhere, but if you know where to put your attention to begin with. To quote this one guy, "The key is, every time, before you shoot, DECIDE exactly what you are going to do. And then after each string, without attaching to or judging the results—simply notice what actually happened. Eventually, clear intention will dictate your activity."

My equipment switch:

Snubbie Ruger sp101 in .357! FUN GUN! :goof:

Okay, my excuse was to help my trigger press. But, really why I bought was for fun. Trying to ride that snubbie with .357 rounds is fun, it's a stout little thing so shooting it isn't unpleasant. Big fireballs from magnum rounds! :roflol:

Dry fire remains fun if I use Mr. Snubbie every once in a while. A stock double action will tire your finger out quick.

WHAT I THINK REALLY HAPPENED:

The new toy got me back on fundamentals; grip, sight picture, trigger technique and transitions. :blush:

That helped me change my mindset from trying to burn down a CoF to focusing on shooting correctly paying attention to fundamentals.

The consistency of results got me motivated again. I now have a deeper appreciation and understanding of the fundamentals.

Post back what worked for you.

DNH

Some of it is because I try to replicate that run consciously.

There's that pesky word: try

Sounds like there's a lot of emotion/judging going on and that will definitely cause self image problems.

Why don't you shoot your next match with the ONLY goal of calling every shot. Let go of any/all expectations and just call every shot.

Lemme know what happens.

Why don't you shoot your next match with the ONLY goal of calling every shot. Let go of any/all expectations and just call every shot.

Back years ago I fancied myself a bar table pool player. One day I found a copy of a very basic instruction book "Minnesota Fats, How to Shoot Pool..." I do mean Very Basic instructions. Read the book few times and had the greatest extended run of winning in my life. Why.. Just paid attention to the basics and tried to be smooth.

I reread Steve's book a couple of years ago and "called every shot" and for a few months I was smoking hot... Then I quit paying attention to what I was trying to do (call shots and watch the sights) and.... here I am again mired in mediocrity.... <_<

• 3 weeks later...

So I went about two weeks of no practice (live or dry fire), and no matches. During that time I cleaned the gun really good and put a green fiber on the front sight. The next time I picked up the gun was for a match. Thought about shooting in Limited minor, but one of the Huston guys drove out to the match so I decided to shoot Production against him as we haven't gone head to head in a while.

It was a pretty crazy match for me. I was MD so my focus all morning was in getting the match set up, registration and running the new shooters orientation and normal shooters meeting. I only got to do about 5 minutes of dryfire before we started shooting. We started on what was the hardest stage of the day, lots of potential for breaking the 180, SH/WH shooting, target arrays that I've never seen before, low ports (and I designed the stage). I was so focused on everything but the shooting that the front sight just magically appeared. I was shooting a little slower than I normally do but the hits were great. I was watching that front sight move almost the entire time. Really cool feeling. Next stage, I got to talking and short loaded on of my mags. That threw me for one heck of a loop on that stage, but come out of it very good. Really felt grooved in going into the classifier (on the move). I ended up drilling the wall going into the last target. Even though it was Virgina Count, I made up the shot. It wasn't intended, just auto programmed. I looked at the timer and the split on the make up was faster than I normally shoot and was an Alpha to boot. I finished out the last two stages on a very high note. Just let go and rocked them.

Since that match I have been really picking up the dryfire and live fire intensity. Last week was mostly knocking the rust off, but this week I really pushed my speed. My sessions started off a little rough but soon was hitting a great stride. Set up one mini stage that forced me to shoot it on the move. All I was focused on was the front sight and I could have asked for better hits. I was getting pairs that were almost touching. It was really cool watching mini poppers fall on the move as well. Yesterday I was working with par times on the Bianchi Plates. Started off at an easy 6 seconds, but kept knocking the time down. Finished the session off at 3.56 seconds, a personal best for me.

I feel like I haven't completely gotten out of the slump yet, but I am getting my second wind. I am getting the feeling that the next few months leading up to Area 4 are going to be very interesting.

Basically what worked for me was:

• Take a short break
  • Change something on the gun
  • Get relaxed when shooting

Shoot someone else's gun for a while. You will revisit textbook fundamentals that are victims of "familiarity breeds contempt" with your own, familiar rig.

When you return to your gear, it's as if you have just purchased a new, fitted-to-you masterpiece.

Mark

Shoot someone else's gun for a while. You will revisit textbook fundamentals that are victims of "familiarity breeds contempt" with your own, familiar rig.

When you return to your gear, it's as if you have just purchased a new, fitted-to-you masterpiece.

Mark

I tried that...unfourtantely it was with an open gun. Made me go oooo I want one! My justification to buy one is that my press will pay for itself sooner if I am comparing to more expensive ammo :devil:

Edited by Bunchies95

I've noticed that when I put too much pressure on myself my scores will usually go to shit. When I'm relaxed but focused, my scores are better. also shooting with the mindset of just doing the best you can instead of worrying about placement helps (basically saying to self; "screw it and just shoot").

I spend most of my trigger time in L10 but when I play with my Production gun I'm forced to focus on fundamentals cause there's no fat ass magwell or 2 lb crisp breaking trigger. Playing in Production seems to help my Limited shooting too, plus there's the fun factor of shooting mousefart 9mm reloads haha

edited to add that getting in some quality live fire and dryfire practice focusing on fundamentals helps alot too

Edited by blaster113

• 3 weeks later...

For me, a renewed emphasis on the fundamentals helps me return to being able to shoot at level greater than my current level. Since I shoot SS, reloads play a very important part of my being able to execute a COF without undue delay. I found that in dry fire, slowing the reload drill down to a level that I can consistently execute the reload smoothly without a bobble. Interesting that the timer showed that the "slower" controlled reload was faster than the "try to get the new mag in the gun before the spent mag hit the laundry basket."

Finally, I do a bit of 3 gun. With 3 gun I use my Glock G17 with dawson +5 base. Oddly enough I do decently on he pistol stages. I attribute this to the dissimilar grip angle which forced me to validate a solid sight picture for each shot. In fact I was able to cleaned the star with 5 shots. So... I starting paying more attention to the sight picture integrity when I went back to shooting single stack matches, while revisiting the fundamentals and such. That and now performing dry fire drills every day.

While watching the Olympics I had an epiphany that changed my views on how I should address the entire shooting sport. The "amateur" Olympic athletes train 4-8 hours a day 5-7 days a week for years with occasional matches. Many only have their sight set on the Olympics. So that 4 years of training with in some cases ends with performing a 2 minute routine. To reach a world class level, the competitor must learn to love the "never ending drills", dry firing and any other activity that will help elevate themselves to the next level of excellence.

One of my Achilles heals is target transition. I started a drill with 2 targets at 7 yards separated by one yard and only using my .22 conversion. My rational was that if I could not not it with the double deuce, Then I certainly could not do it with 9mm and if it was a problem with 9mm then .45 was a waste of time and ammo.

Bottom line is during my last practice session I was able to do it (once) with .13 splits and .16 transition. mostly (.16 splits with .25 transitions) But the overall goal for targets in a tight array for the transition to match the splits while shoot all alphas. Now for more repeatability. Then 9mm etc

So for me, making the tedium of fundamentals training enjoyable and meaningful has been the most important aspect of my shoot.

So.... embrace the drills. :cheers: