Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switched to Zero's

.40AET

:o I just recieved my new brazos in 40cal and had to buy all the stuff from dillon to do a caliber change and a 40 case gauge and 1.200 zero's drop right in it , my friend has a old dillon case gauge and my 1.200 bullet's won't drop like it set for a shorter AOL!

CHECK YOUR MAG SPRINGS,followers,feed lips,there is a huge thread on this from BRIAN,if that doesnt work send it to BENNY, I HAD TO REPLACE A 40 barrel because the feed ramp was cut at the wrong angle causing failures.

Thanks, I have read all of the super tuning advice on mags. The magazines have been 100% for almost 2 years. I replace all of the gun springs once a year just to eliminate cheap failures at a match. The gun has been 100% up until I tried the Zeros. I ran 150 rounds tested 20 zeros, then went back to shooting the MGs. No failures at all with the MG. I'd like to get the zeros to run, but a new barrel for a new gun is totally out of the question. I just as soon shoot the MG CMJ. I will order a new Dillon case gauge and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Since you magazines are ok. I would try to change the OAL on the rounds. Try slightly longer and shorter until you get them to feed. There is a difference in the shape of the bullet. That might be the problem here in your case. The MG's are more rounded than the zero's. Perhaps you should look at loading beyond 1.20 maybe 1.21-1.22 that alone might solve the feeding issue.

If you'd rather not go through the aggrevation just stick with MG's they seem to work just fine. I've had success with the zero's. I use them for Open, Limited and Revolver with no problems.

just drop your rounds in the case gage backwards.

Yep, they gauge well if you put them in backwards. I also loaded up a batch with 1.80" oal andt they passed the drop check as well. This weekend I'll see if they feed any better than the 2.00"oal.

Thanks guys

FYI I have shot 2k 180 JHP loaded to 1.180" OAL without a single hiccup in my SVI Competition.

Moreover, I gage my ammo (match ammo only) in a Dillon .40" case gage (BTW, is it an american thing to call it gage instead of gauge?): jacketed/plated rounds all pass the test, while lead rounds (even after having been factory crimped) won't pass it.

If I insert the lead rounds backwards in the case gage, they'd pass the test: I found out that the lead bullet was a bit oversized for the gage, then the brass would drop in freely, but as soon as the bullet contacted the tighter zone of the gage (after the case area) it got stuck.

Maybe your bullets are sized to .401" or so, thus not allowing them to pass the gage test?

Sky- I hope that the 1.18" oal will work in my SVI as well as they do in yours. As far as spelling gauge goes, I think a lot of people just forget to put the u into the word when they type. Or, they have spoken the word a lot, but don't write it enough to know how to spell it. It's not an "american thing" to not know how to spell. :lol:

.40AET,

Your case qauge is doing it's job. At the OAL of 1.200" that you were loading at, the MG fits, the Zero does not. When you try to use the Zero in your gun, it does not run. The reason for this is the shape of the Zero has a shorter radius nose, (the gun see's this as if the OAL where longer then it really is) and the cartridge is wedging into the camber as it is feeding from the mag, to the feed ramp and top of the chamber. The longer the OAL, the steeper the angle of the cartridge is while jumping from the mag to the chamber, and the radius of the bullet is hitting the inside top of the chamber. This angle is so steep, that the rim of the cartridge doesn't want to slide up the breechface. Shortening your OAL is the right direction, and 1.175" (+or- .005) is what I recommend.

It sounds like your case gauge has a freebore and forcing cone dimension in it that is telling you that your bullet shape is hitting the forcing cone at the OAL that you are loading at. This just happens to work in your favor, because the ammo that is tested in it, is not working in your gun either.

Whenever changing components in your loaded ammo, make it work for your gun, not your chamber gauge. The chamber gauge is only supposed to check for size of the ammo, to make sure it fits the size of the chamber in your gun. Freebore length and size in the barrel can be changed to allow longer then normal OAL's, but if your ammo drops into the chamber by hand, then that does not need to be changed.

cartridge is wedging into the camber as it is feeding

Never even made it close to the chamber. The FTF were deep nosedives. The round never got close to the breechface, much less the chamber. Thanks for detailed input Beven, hopefully the 1.80" will work.

Shot 100 rounds after work today. Only 1 nosedive. Things are looking up. I will likely go back to MG's, but I am happy that I can at least load up 1000 and use them for practice instead of giving them away. I'll shorten them up to 1.17"oal and try another 100, perhaps I can get 100 to feed without any problem.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions from everyone on the boards. Your time is appreciated.