Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dumb Reloading Question #1

dwpmusic

TBH, I think having a chrono does help with load development & is not just for Power factor or average velocity. If a handloader wants to try a different powder, primer, or bullet combination they at least have the chrono to help them track their results. Components, specifically powder formulas or consistencies can change. Suppose a handloader wants to find the best combination of average velocity, with the least deviation, with a specific bullet, primer, case, shooting comfort, etc. for their own use. They can keep track of what they want to accomplish with a given load with experience gained along the way. Handloaders are just like researchers in an environment they control & a chrono is another tool in the lab. It may not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to have one to find what combination they feel best works for them.

Edited by Glockman1000

Well, I'm pretty sure at some point in the future I'll want to acquire a chrono. Right now I just want to be sure of a safe starting charge with Win231 and a 230gr FMJ regardless of how slow or fast it goes.