Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bullet Feeder

After more than a year of basically flawless operation my Mr. Bullet Feeder just started dropping the bullets nose down. About 9 out of 10 nose down..... Can't remember when this happened a single time prior to today. First time I have used this particular machine in several months but it is clean with no obstructions in the hopper. I am sure it is the right collator plate - has the 3 small dimples ground into it... WTH has happened.

124 Precision Black Bullets set up on a RL 1050. Proven in the past to be just about perfect and now this....?

Edited title to make future searches easier.

Edited by Merlin Orr

The "flipper" should be set so it catches the nose and draw the nose of the bullet out, so it will lay down then be flipped back up, nose up.

IMAG0372-1.jpg

IMAG0373-1.jpg

IMAG0374-1.jpg

IMAG0375-1.jpg

It also must be set so the base of the bullet wont drop into the slot, instead it should ride right over, like this.

IMAG0376.jpg

Not sure why it would change after being set but I have found that with different projectiles I need to slightly rotate the flipper sometimes. Not much and the direction varies but I have always gotten it into a position where I get close to 100% nose up.

Some bullets coatings will build up in the rotation feeder plate, when this happens the bullets don't have an easy up/down travel. Scrub it out with some degreaser or hoppe's and see what happens.

OK... It was the flipper. And... since I asked in public I guess I have to be publicly embarrassed. :blush:

I had been loading .223 and forgot to change the "flipper" back to 9mm. Put the 9mm back in - Had to slide in and out a few times then... found that exactly in the center of the adjustment range was perfect.

Back in business.

But my powder drop is coming all the way down and contacting the shellplate and dropping powder directly on the shellplate - when there is no brass in the powder drop station. Again I must ask. WTH...?

Edit to add - What a great visual tutorial from JMorris. :cheers:

Edited by Merlin Orr

One other thing, I use and adjustable power supply so I can change the speed that the "gear" rotates. The speed makes a big difference on how well the ones I built work. If you have changed calibers make sure you have the bearing in there.

But my powder drop is coming all the way down and contacting the shellplate and dropping powder directly on the shellplate - when there is no brass in the powder drop station. Again I must ask. WTH...?
Did you put the right part back in? If its dumping powder with no case in the shell plate you would know if the insert is right or not, your case would look like a V after being charged as the mouth would be "belled" over 1/2" in diameter set at that depth. Edited by jmorris

• 5 months later...

After 3 years of completely trouble free operation, my Mr.BulletFeeder finally pooped the linen today. Bulets stopped feeding and the fuse blew when the shellplate became stuck.

The cause was simple. The bullets I use seem to have residual lubricant. The shellplate was sticky enough that the bullets simply were not sliding down into the chute fast enough.

After 3 years of completely trouble free operation, my Mr.BulletFeeder finally pooped the linen today. Bulets stopped feeding and the fuse blew when the shellplate became stuck.

The cause was simple. The bullets I use seem to have residual lubricant. The shellplate was sticky enough that the bullets simply were not sliding down into the chute fast enough.

I made a mod to mine so that it's easier to change the fuse.

I drilled a hole on the body of the feeder and installed a panel mount fuseholder from Radio Shack. Rather than taking the feeder apart, I now twist the knob and swap out the fuse.

But there is always more to things than a black and white warranty. As I said this is the first real problem I have heard of anybody having with the MBF.

Second, I asked Rick of MBF if he could help in some small way with sponsorship for my state match. He is sending me a complete MrBulletfeeder. Try getting that out of Hornady.

Aah, but is'nt it a black and white warranty that sets Mike Dillon's company ahead of the competition Sarge.

From what I have seen most of the companies in the shooting sports take pretty good care of their customers. Dillon leads the way due to innovation, performance, dead nuts reliability and of course their outstanding warranty when the occasional issue pops up.

When you look at the warranties on Dillon electronics it is typically only a year as well, right? The MBF is centered around an electronic system. It's unlikely a "part" will break before an electronic component will.

The MrBulletFeeder is a superior piece of equipment.