Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used 1050 advice

For all the 1050 experts, I'd like to ask for your advice.

May have an opportunity to buy a used 1050 for what seems like a decent price.

Press is about 10 years old from what I've been told.

What should one look for when looking over a press this old, and particularly a 1050?

Have there been advancements/refinements to the press design in the past 10 years to warrant passing on this deal?

Haven't physically seen anything yet, but I think they are asking about $1000 for the press and 3 calibers worth of kit. (only one of which I'm actually currently reloading for so I'll probably try and sell the other two)

In a worst case scenario, if I send the press to Dillon for a rebuild, what does a typical "freshening up" of a press cost?

I know it would depend on many factors, but a rough estimate is all I'm looking for.

Is this deal worth it?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Just picked up the press.

RL1050

It is in great condition and I don't think I'll need to send it in for a refurb.

Came with a couple sets of dies and shell plates, but no additional tool heads.

I'm ok with that though as it did have a few extras, and the thing is good to go as is.

Can't wait to get it all set up and start cranking out rounds.

While I like my Hornady LNL, I think this press will help me save huge amounts of time.

Now to look for a bullet feeder!

Edited by sarpau

I bought my used RL1050 in 1995 for 1500$ so you got a VERY Good deal.

I just added a Hornady bullet feeder to my RL 1050. I had to add a couple 2x2 to get the feeder up high enough to work correctly but once it was mounted it works GREAT! for ~300$ it cannot be beat.

The other item you will want to consider assuming you have both sets of priming mechanizms is more tool heads. The change over from one caliber to another becomes so much faster and easier when you have the tool heads. Note You will need the RL ratches and likely a new powder backup rod on your first upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

I'll be looking at all the bullet feeder options and people's success/failure with each.

You don't happen to have any pics of your final solution with the Hornady feeder do you?

Pm me an email address and I will send you one from my iPhone.

Just picked up the press.

RL1050

It is in great condition and I don't think I'll need to send it in for a refurb.

Came with a couple sets of dies and shell plates, but no additional tool heads.

I'm ok with that though as it did have a few extras, and the thing is good to go as is.

Can't wait to get it all set up and start cranking out rounds.

While I like my Hornady LNL, I think this press will help me save huge amounts of time.

Now to look for a bullet feeder!

I just got a new RL-1050, someone had one setting around for a longtime new in the box. From what I was told the mechanics on the RL-1050 is better then the super.