Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911?

trp

i like my STI spartan quite a bit, especially for the price. needed a few things added (magwell, ambi saftey, grips, trigger job) but those are all pretty personal things so i like saving the money and adding them vs replacing them

shoots one hole at 7 yards when i do my job so its good for now

Wich 9mm 1911 is the best value I like the sti Trojan but I kinda want it in SS any body have some suggestions?

Which 9mm 1911... most of them are fine... what are you looking to do, shoot cheap rounds, practice steel matches.. IMHO a 1911 is pistol, and then you spend more cash on what you use the 1911 for...

Springfield loaded works quite nicely.. shooting cheap ammo, and shooting steel.

post-35517-0-71437500-1342664861_thumb.j

Edited by BobZ

After seeing how well my sons Trojan shoots and functions, I went out a few weeks back and bought one for myself. It is a good shooting gun. I'm having a few problems with rounds nose diving, but I think that may be related to the magwell and magazines. I still recommend the Trojan. You may want to consider the CRP version from Dawson Precision. It is hard chromed rather than machined from stainless steel. Gives you the corrosion and wear protection of stainless, and you don't have to worry about the galling encountered with stainless. The other gun I would consider is the Dan Wesson PM9. The problem with the PM9, is they are produced in limited quantities, and are sometimes difficult to find. The few people I know who own them, love them.

There is a reasonably priced springfield 9mm 1911 in the classified. Was thinking about picking it up myself. I have a rock island that I have added a few touches to and its a great bang for the buck. I have also handled the spartan and liked it equally as well, just not a fan of adjustable sights. Dawson precision has them with a few "upgrades" for a really good price. Might be a good option to go with.

I own a Dan Wesson PM9 (my favorite) and a Springfield Loaded (this was my 1st gun I bought). I used to own a STI Spartan but sold it after having to many issues with it not feeding any thing but RN bullets realibly. I paid right at $700 each for the Dan Wesson and Springfield. If you look around the deals are there.

I have a Trojan 9mm I have put a ton of rounds through it. I have changed a lot of stuff but just because I wanted to. It has been pretty much trouble free with Tripp magazines. It really only like round nosed bullets but it is competition only so it does not matter to me.

IMAG0130.jpg

...and you don't have to worry about the galling encountered with stainless.

Galling? :lol: Galling hasn't been an issue since disco.

You might be reading too many gun magazines.

:roflol:

The only Galling issues I've seen are with stainless guns that people think should run with no oil.

If the OP wants stainless, I think Dan Wesson and Springfield are about the best options without going custom.

Edited by DWFAN

I love my Spartan, and like others said, round bullets only! I use the 135 grain round nose that people usually associate with .38 super in mine. I am going to be testing a 160 grain round nose bullet in my Spartan soon.

Do they make the Trojan in hard chrome I havnt seen it l, it's not the end of the world I just want somthing other than black. I'll be using it for idpa mostly

Don't let the lack of availability in Stainless deter you from getting a Trojan. I love my 9mm Trojan, and it's been flawless through about 15,000 rounds. Shoot it til the finish wears off then send it out for hard chrome.

Or get the one in DWFAN's link above and you're all set.

Edited by astephenson

I have shot the STI Trojan, Dan Wesson PM-9 and SA 9mm Target. The SA Target was reliable but would not group better than ca 5" at 50 ft. The Dan Wesson is equally relaible provides ca 1 in. grups at 50 ft and has a tight chamber - no issue with factory loads but after ca the 3rd reload you have to use the barrel as a case gauge (probably the best case gauge for any match use). The STI trojan functions reliably but the finish on the slide wears very rapidly - it's not quite as accurate as the DW PM-9 but more than accepatble.

Anybody know the cost to hard chrome just the frame on a 1911? Paul the new guy I really like the looks of that but I also want it to run my edge runs great so I thought another sti would do the trick

Anybody know the cost to hard chrome just the frame on a 1911? Paul the new guy I really like the looks of that but I also want it to run my edge runs great so I thought another sti would do the trick

It cost me $100.00 to get the frame chromed. All of the little pieces are polished, the flats are brushed and the rounds are matte. Trojans will run hollow points or flat points but mine is unreliable with anything that does not have a round nose. With any round nose bullet it runs 100 percent. The only issue I ever had was the extractor needed to be re tensioned and I knocked the front sight lose when I smacked it on a range prop. Good luck with your search.

love my STI sentry, but Id probably go with a Trojan if i were to do it again because of the changes that i did to it. i could have saved a few bucks. as mentioned above you can get the Trojan Hard chromed.