Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I stopped...

BigDave

You will notice certain things trigger the urge more than others . It's just an association made by years of repetition and reinforcement with nicotine . It's all in your head ( not that this makes it any easier , it's still freakin hard ).

Travis F.

As I was on the range this afternoon, practising for the Dutch Open, my shooting buddy (he quit smoking more than 10 years ago) told me excactly the same...."Henny, it is in your head." "Life will be easier not smoking, no urge for tobacco, a lighter etc.".

Guess he is right! Guess all of you are right

With the help of you guys this attempt is going to work!

:) Travis, there is one addiction left and I do not want to break that habit and that is IPSC-shooting :wub:

Thanks, guys!!

Edited by schmitz

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm on my way, trashed my last pack Wednesday, I've had enough.

Today someone was making jokes about me because I stopped, he stated that I can't survive without cigs.

I'm going to prove him wrong! 'cause I am ready in my mind and want it for myself.

It's a long time ago (1987) that I was so determined to quit. But this time is the time to quit...all of this was triggered by one PM! :)

Edited by schmitz

I quit 30 years ago. I had smoked for about 6 years and was burning through over two packs a day. I was at the point where the alarm would ring, and I was lighting a cigarettte before my feet were on the floor!

I woke up one morning and as I pulled my first from the pack, I thought "this is just plain DUMB!", I crushed that pack, then went down to the Kitchen and crushed the carton that was in the cabinet.

Did I want a cig? You bet. What I did was announce VERY loudly to the whole world (well everyone I was working with on a pile driving job) that "I had quit and that only a fool would smoke, how dumb it was and I was beating that addiction.

It was not easy, but with the exception of one slip at the Christmas party that year, I have remained clean.

Yeah, I gained a few pounds, I was 171 when I quit and went up to about 195. Still there today.

i think of it this way, at $7 a pack, I am shooting for free! In fact, i would be spending $140 week so match fees, ammo and after match dinner are essentially free!

Jim

Next time I am gonna post in Big Dave's Topic is one month from now.

But for now, I want to say thanks to Liota and Merlin, George, Middle Man, Jim and Travis. Thank you very much.

Mr. Merlin Orr: for all to read, I've made a promise to you and myself: I do not smoke a cig ever and never again....and you Merlin triggered this...and I am gratefull. We're both clean now! :D

This post is not about shooting but thank you Brian for making this site happen.... thank you for accomodating this site where people from around the globe find inspiration and new friends. ;)

Edited by schmitz

• 4 weeks later...

I quit 2.5 years ago, for a lot of reasons. I was a pack and a half a day smoker, and had been at it for about 9 years. To tell the truth, I never really liked it after the first month or two, but by then I was hooked, it was habbit, and it was easy to continue as all my buddies smoked. When you wait tables, the ONLY way you can get a 2-3 min. break is if you have a cool manager who lets you smoke, non-smokers get screwed here.

I never liked the smell of it (parents smoked most of my life and I hated it then), the taste was good for a month or so, then I hated it as well. My clothes always smelled bad, etc., but I did get to take breaks at work, something I really no longer do.

I quit cold turkey, and after about 1 month, I have not wanted one at all! I quit because I found the woman I knew I wanted to marry, and she had no interest in a relationship if I continued to smoke. I did however catch a break, I got sick (Flu) and when I was sick I could not smoke, it hurt too bad. After 3 days of not smoking I decided that was the time to quit. At that point, the physical addiction is pretty much gone, you are through the worst of it! The hardest part for me was driving, I always smoked when I drove, so I started playing with a pen so my hand had something familiar to hold, and then I was fine.

To anyone who thinks it is too hard, it is not! You can do it, and you will when you find something more important to you. Perhaps it will be a woman (or man) like it was for me, or maybe a grandchild or if your mom gets cancer (not that I wish that, just citing examples). It WILL be tough, but you ARE tougher!

I'm off the Zyban, too many side-effects (for me)....i.e. nausea&sleepless nights.

But I must say that the Wellbutrin/Zyban helped me thru those first difficult days..so it was well spent money on those pills!!

Cold turkey as from several days ago....will post in this topic one year from now, I'm doing well without Nicotine :) and I will be...without, until the day I die.

Yours, Henny.

Edited by schmitz

I smoked for 36 years. Today is 8 weeks without a cigarette for me and I don't want one. Sometimes my mind tries to trick me into it but I'm not playing. I have an occasional cigar to satisfy the hand-mouth habit (I don't inhale those!), but thankfully they're not very satisfying. I'm down to about 1 every 2 days.

Why am I able to do it this time? Because of the inspiration this thread has provided. :wub: Thanks, everyone.

...Mark

I smoked for 36 years. Today is 8 weeks without a cigarette for me and I don't want one. Sometimes my mind tries to trick me into it but I'm not playing. I have an occasional cigar to satisfy the hand-mouth habit (I don't inhale those!), but thankfully they're not very satisfying. I'm down to about 1 every 2 days.

Why am I able to do it this time? Because of the inspiration this thread has provided. :wub: Thanks, everyone.

...Mark

Way to go, man! but kill the occasional cigar as well.....

Edited by schmitz

I have to confess to some "Social Smoking" this week with some significant clients (check out the Sea World synopsis in the "What I Like" forum -- too tired to post a direct link, so please forgive my laziness). I was damn near panicked thinking I would be sprinting to the nearest convineience store for a carton of smokes the next morning.

Didn't happen.

I went through the day with nary a thought to smoking. I haven't had one since simply because I chose not to.

A friend who's deeepyly in a 12 Step program for drinking crystalized it for me when he said, "It OK if you Fxxk up, as long as you don't Give up."

I'm trying to break a 36-year habit, so that was exactly what I needed to hear!

• 1 month later...
Ya gotta be ready in your mind and want to for yourself....Merlin.

Just acknowledge the urge and let it go....AikiDale.

Keep going forward and don't look back....Liota.

Thanks to all of you and maybe Goodbye.

No no no..... Don't be talking that stuff...... :huh:

• 3 months later...

I lost my balance (excuse my bad English/American) when I quit smoking. It took me several months to find balance again.

The urge for Nicotine was strong...almost to strong.... but I resisted that urge. I stopped with the help of the Wellbutrin-pills...but couldn't manage the side-effects, so I decided to quit Cold Turkey.

Did my thing and I'm free of cigarettes/nicotine for over 7 months now. Gained 20 lbs in weight, but who cares :P them love-handles :lol:

Managed to convince other people to Quit: first my Mom: after 50 years she quit smoking ...I'm so proud of her!!! and a customer of me: he did quit after 40 years...

Here I am.....

BACK!

Henny, glad to hear the program is going good and your are still smoke-free. Congratulations!!!

4 years off the cigs for me now! Best thing I ever did besides start shooting competitively ;-)

...Mark

Congradulations. I quit after 16 years of smoking. that was in 1999. It's tough but it can be done. ;)B)

I'm on my way, trashed my last pack Wednesday, I've had enough.

Today someone was making jokes about me because I stopped, he stated that I can't survive without cigs.

I'm going to prove him wrong! 'cause I am ready in my mind and want it for myself.

It's a long time ago (1987) that I was so determined to quit. But this time is the time to quit...all of this was triggered by one PM! :)

Sounds like he's full of sh++. You weren't born smoking. It's hard but totally doable. My father quit smoking after 35 + years. Anybody can do it if they want to. B)

Edited by shadetree

I quit dipping 18 months and 15lbs ago. Dipping is a B*atch to quit. That was after 16 years at the stuff, up to 3 cans a week. Yes I had tried to quit before, But what I think made the difference this time was I really wanted too. I didn't try to quit for my wife or what ever. I quit because I wanted to be around for my son growing up.

18 months latter I'm still Skoal free, but I still "want it" every so often.

Just hang tuff.

Edited by North

I lost my balance (excuse my bad English/American) when I quit smoking. It took me several months to find balance again.

The urge for Nicotine was strong...almost to strong.... but I resisted that urge. I stopped with the help of the Wellbutrin-pills...but couldn't manage the side-effects, so I decided to quit Cold Turkey.

Did my thing and I'm free of cigarettes/nicotine for over 7 months now. Gained 20 lbs in weight, but who cares :P them love-handles :lol:

Managed to convince other people to Quit: first my Mom: after 50 years she quit smoking ...I'm so proud of her!!! and a customer of me: he did quit after 40 years...

Here I am.....

BACK!

Cool !

Congrats to everybody !

Quitting IS possible , it's just dang difficult .

Sometimes it's even harder to stay quit than it was to quit in the first place .

It's worth it .

Travis F.

I quit dipping 18 months and 15lbs ago. Dipping is a B*atch to quit. That was after 16 years at the stuff, up to 3 cans a week. Yes I had tried to quit before, But what I think made the difference this time was I really wanted too. I didn't try to quit for my wife or what ever. I quit because I wanted to be around for my son growing up.

18 months latter I'm still Skoal free, but I still "want it" every so often.

Just hang tuff.

Trust me it gets easier. I may take a while but every day it get's a little easier. Even now I have cravings on occasion. They are not near as powerful as they once were but they are still there. B)

I gained a bit of weight too, trust me a lot more than 15 lbs. I have lost some of it, :)

• 4 months later...

I was gonna make a post like this but figured it wasnt a big deal to others,and low and behold here this one is, any way I was looking for a little support a few evenings ago when I was going bonkers, but should have known I would find like minded people here.

30 years of allmost non stop, skoal then copenhagen, been around a can a day for most of adult life, going on three weeks without it now. Just decided to quit at the same time I had the determination too, I reasoned with my self that I get nothing out of it, it offers no advantage and was a giant waste of money. I have used the commet lozenges, figured even if I do get addicted to them it's gotta be better than the coughandgaggin..

Joe,

Let me know how that goes. What works and what doesn't. I go through a can every three or four days. It's a habit I know I should break - but I don't want to. I know it's bad for me and I hate every can I buy. But selfishly I just haven't resolved myself to quitting. If you find something that you feel really helped make the difference I'd love to hear about it.

J