Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with stage planning and visualization

Pensfan

I started shooting USPSA in March and have done fairly well on the stand and shoot classifiers, just got my B card in June and even shot two A classifiers recently, but on the courses I SUCK. Mental mistakes kill me. The biggest problem I am having is programming my run, visualizing it a dozen or so times before my run, then when the buzzer hits, I just shoot brown and forget the visualization, shoot to slide lock, etc. I feel if I can get the mental game down, I can improve drastically. I just need to work on breaking stages down and sticking to the dang plan.

I have had people explain to me the visualization of the stage breakdown, but how do you cement it in? I try and see myself run the stage and it all looks great, then the buzzer goes off and I am just throwing lead at targets... CRAP reload!! CRAP didn't even shoot at that hidden target! haha

I have tried round counting, ie. paper, paper, steel, paper, reload, move to array 2, steel steel, paper, paper, paper = 7, reload, 8. Not sure how well it works as I find myself counting shots and that takes me out of the pure shooting.

So with all that... what is the best way to mentally plan a stage and STICK to it?

This has been discussed numerous times. Do some research and you'll find a lot of topics on that. Basically, there's no secret - it's really about experience. With more experience, you start to relax and there's less adrenaline washing through your brain so you think more clearly.

After you wal the stage a few times and set up your plan, step aside and close your eyes. Visualize yourself shooting the stage by your plan. Make sure to see each target and know which one it is (high, low, hardcover, no-shoot covering, etc etc) as well as when you will be reloading. Visualize the timer going off too. If you can't pick out the targets in your mind or know which ones are hardcover, no shoot, etc then it isnt engrained enough and you should give it a couple more walk throughs.

It will become easier as you gain more experience. Some stages are also just flat out more difficult as well. If you don't think the 5 minutes before is enough time, I'd recommend getting there early to walk the stages by yourself before registration.

Mike Seeklander use to have a stage planning sheet. The idea is to put down in writing your game plan. There are a great number of studies that show, when 'stuff' is put to paper, there is a significantly higher rate of retention and recall. Most are too lazy to do it.

A second approach it to step aside and mentally recall how many target are at each shooting position. Once this is recalled perfectly, then try to recall the first target your are going to shoot and the target you are going to leave the array. I have personally experience Robbie, Angus, Taran, talk about each target that is going to be taken at every given position.

I have seen many many GMs say out loud, paper, paper, steel, paper or whatever may be in that array. Verbalization is another key learning technique.

The mental aspect of this game is the ability to learn. Once you learn the course of fire, you will be able to recall it, this is what leads to visualization.

It sounds like you are visualizing just fine. It sounds like after the buzzer you are not focused on your plan or each task in the plan as it arrives. It sounds like you are focused on trying to go fast. Keep doing what you are doing to plan and forget about going fast. I think you will drastically improve.

Edited by lawboy

Yeah I am definitely trying to go too fast... it affects so many facets of shooting haha.

I worked hard this past week, and this weekend at the match, to focus on the stage breakdown, visualization, and slowing down, and it helped tremendously. I shot much better, and some stages even felt slow but the timer showed otherwise. I still ended up with two Mikes (dang head shots) on the day which hurt a bit, but overall the results were much better.

I still need to slow down a bit and not rush through every stage.