Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving front sight?

Michael64

To me, it implies the action of constantly watching the sights (whether they be irons or optics) for the entire time that the trigger is being pressed, making corrections during the trigger press as necessary to ensure a clean shot.

A good many people have what is basically a three-step process to firing a shot: see a good sight picture, whack the heck out of the trigger, and then re-focus downrange to see where the bullet hit. Needless to say, this ain't right....

When you're driving the gun/sight/dot, you'll see a surprising amount of information presented to you in an amazingly short time. You can see the sight entering the target area, you'll confirm sight alignment, and start pressing the trigger. As the trigger finger starts to move, you'll generally see some sort of movement in the gun, since it is really hard to press a trigger perfectly STRAIGHT back. IF you see that movement, you can actually correct it and ensure a good shot. (Most people DON'T see that, because they're not watching the sights DURING the press.)

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed with Braxton1. I use my sights as a speedometer. I "drive" my sights to the target, fire, make sure my second sight picture is good, fire and then "drive my sights to the next. Mind you I'm leading with my eyes during the transition but snapping/driving the guns front sight to the next target. At least thats what it means to me.

Agreed with Braxton1. I use my sights as a speedometer. I "drive" my sights to the target, fire, make sure my second sight picture is good, fire and then "drive my sights to the next. Mind you I'm leading with my eyes during the transition but snapping/driving the guns front sight to the next target. At least thats what it means to me.

Training with a Master in L10 and this how he explains it. Drive the gun to each and every target and use the recoil when going to the next target.