Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Percentage of Execution

BulletWhisperer

What percentage of execution is good? 

What does masters /grandmasters averaging?

It could be from a mag change fumble,extra shot from shooting steel, slight hesitation , a bad grip on the gun, etc.  Although I'd shoot clean, fastest time, and win the stage, it still wasn't how I wanted to execute it . And sometimes , well most times, it'll bother me for the rest of the week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What Flex and Chris said was exactly what I was about to post.

To go a bit further, I believe folks in the B-class range can execute much higher than their classification percentage, and much lower as well-- to the point where it basically averages out. It is my firm belief that the difference between B and M class is consistency and consistency alone.

• 2 months later...

To go a bit further, I believe folks in the B-class range can execute much higher than their classification percentage, and much lower as well-- to the point where it basically averages out. It is my firm belief that the difference between B and M class is consistency and consistency alone.

That right there is deep.

I will need to ponder on this ... a lot.

Consistency and consistency alone ...

Man, that is deep!

That right there is deep.

I will need to ponder on this ... a lot.

Consistency and consistency alone ...

Man, that is deep!

bart - have you ever whipped out a 90% classifier one match and then a 30% the next? Thats the difference :)

Consistently inconsistent.

classifiers.jpg

Edited by digby7

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I focused on some accuracy practice before my last big match and gained consistency. I'm a B shooter and because I shot a penalty free match and my stage time didn't slow down, low and behold I easily won my class and found myself ahead of all masters in production. Still a significant margin behind the three GM's that destroyed us all :)

It's a training thing.

If you are fumbling basic skills, that means they are not subconscious (enough.)

Therefore, you are directing your attention haphazardly from task to task, and constantly interrupting yourself.

Ideally, you burn the stage into memory, then you just shoot.

How cool would that be?

It's very, very cool.

if you cannot visualize the entire stage, you are not ready to shoot.

Yeah. The problems start when you run out of time for mental prep. I went to my first major match this year, and of course I had to go first on one of the stages that had lots of options...I ended up picking an approach that was less than ideal just because I had to pick one and go. I did shoot the plan though.

We can get really caught up in finding the "perfect plan".

A number of years back, Steve and I watched quite a few of the top shooters at the Nationals. The big take-away from that was, it often didn't matter what the plan was...as long as it was executed well.

You won't always have time to find the very best way. Pick a way, then nail it. Own it.

I've noticed recently that at major matches I shoot around 62-63%. Which also happens to be around what my classifier averages are. Is that what Flex meant by his theory?

Also I've been guilty of coming up with the "perfect plan". I was at a club match recently and thought I'd found the perfect gamer plan to shoot a stage. Then I watched a Master class shooter run through the stage normally (or what would appear to be the most obvious way of shooting it) and he smoked it. I learned that sometimes simplicity is the best course of action.

I've noticed recently that at major matches I shoot around 62-63%. Which also happens to be around what my classifier averages are. Is that what Flex meant by his theory?

Well, not really. Where you finish in a match can be dependent on who is shooting/winning the match. Execution is us in our own little world. :)

• 4 weeks later...

:surprise: (there was no beating head against wall face)

I memorize my course of fire until I can visualize shooting every target. still cant seem to catch those limited guys.

limited and single stack are basically the same right?

i really am trying to catch the A limited guys.

Edited by wes777

• 2 months later...

It's a training thing.

If you are fumbling basic skills, that means they are not subconscious (enough.)

Therefore, you are directing your attention haphazardly from task to task, and constantly interrupting yourself.

Ideally, you burn the stage into memory, then you just shoot.

How cool would that be?

It's very, very cool.

Man. More dedication than I have.

• 3 weeks later...

That is food for thought!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This one really applies to me. My high seventies classifiers balance out my low 40's and make me a 'B' class shooter.

My goal is consistency also. I'm trying to focus, slow down and shoot solid 'B' classifiers. It didn't work this month :( next month the other local club has their super classifier. I'm going to prep with lots of dry fire, and live fire of basic fundamentals.

I'm in my 62nd year of a very active and exciting life and a B-class shooter which makes me happy, seeing that all the body parts I mangled living an exciting life makes my shooting very inconsistent, but my whining very consistent. :goof:

• 4 months later...

I want to enjoy shooting and do well, so it is a tough balancing act between pushing myself to get better and having fun. I have seen shooters who are so serious that they get angry and beat themselves up about every stage. I want to improve, but not at the expense of draining all the fun out.

I'm going to have to disagree with most folks here about the only difference between B and M class shooters is consistency. Just like I think there is a lot of difference between a 61% B shooter and a 74% B shooter. I've only been in this game for 2 years but I've never seen a B shooter beat a bunch of masters at a match .....

I'm currently sitting at 58.1% and at Area 6 in April my match percentage was 57.6%, almost exactly at my current classification level. No matter how much more consistent I would have shot I wouldn't be at the 85% level. I actually only had one stage of the 12 where I had serious issues ....

I guess it's possible that once I reach the 65-75% level as a solid B shooter my core skills will have progressed to the point of a Master, just not as consistent, but I don't see how that's really true ....