Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adj Gas Block - Worth the it

I like them as once set my rifles shoot smoother and stay cleaner. They do need to be set properly though and you will experience malfunctions if you don't get it set correctly. Also, I don't know about other's experiences, but I had trouble with the supplied blue locktite burning out, allowing the screw to begin moving. I switched to automotive, high temp locktite. It can take more heat and my adjustment screw has never moved on it's own since.

I wouldn't do it unless your also going to get the low mass bolt carrier and buffer. I have seen some issues with JP's adjustable gas system. In fairness many were user induced. Such as setting the gas system up on a hot day and having your gun turn into a single shot on a cooler day.

pat

It's is worth it when combined with a low mass carrier and buffer. The JP stiff is tried and true but I'm really fond of the new Syrac Ordnance has block. Like someone else said no loctite which is what gets most of us into single shot mode every now and again from turning the gas down to far.

Yes it is worth it. From the factory your front sight/ gas block is correctly sized and possibly even a little oversized. If you change out your gas block for what ever reason and it is not properly sized you have the potential to rip the cases apart due to excessive pressure going back to the BCG. Changed to the adjustable and now I can crank out the rounds without excessive recoil or damaged cases.

It's is worth it when combined with a low mass carrier and buffer. The JP stiff is tried and true but I'm really fond of the new Syrac Ordnance has block. Like someone else said no loctite which is what gets most of us into single shot mode every now and again from turning the gas down to far.

X2

I have used two Syrac blocks. They make a difference and are relatively easy to adjust. In my mind, "Getting an adjustable gas block" = "Getting a Syrac"

I haven't used others, but the design on the Syrac makes more sense to my engineer brain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Syrac too, and I believe all set screw adjustable gas blocks have now become obsolete. I picked mine up to deal with running a suppressor.

The Colt finger adjustable gas block is another innovation with broad implications. Elegant simplicity.

Sendit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For what it's worth there is a new adjustable gas block on the market that was written up in this months SWAT magazine called The Govnah. It seems to be pretty cool and doesn't need any tools to adjust the gas setting but I haven't played with it yet. Some pics of it are at http://micromoa.com/. I know the guy who makes them and I hope to get my hands on one soon so I'll post more when I do.

For what it's worth there is a new adjustable gas block on the market that was written up in this months SWAT magazine called The Govnah. It seems to be pretty cool and doesn't need any tools to adjust the gas setting but I haven't played with it yet. Some pics of it are at http://micromoa.com/. I know the guy who makes them and I hope to get my hands on one soon so I'll post more when I do.

That thing only has 2-3 positions. For our purposes that's not gonna be enough. You might as well go non adjustable.

That thing only has 2-3 positions. For our purposes that's not gonna be enough. You might as well go non adjustable.

Yep, agree.

Maybe if I had one I could be a "contender" but I don't.I have tried them and if you "think" you need one you do.Not try to rain on the parade to "accessorize" but sometimes we do it just to do it.Patrick

Your Seekins didn't comes with their new block? Or did you just get a choice and chose a non-adjustable? I have a JP with the set screw that was giving me fits (I use too many types of ammo and had it completely open for the weak stuff) so I switched to a non-adjustable for my game gun. I'm not fast enough to really give a damn about a bit of extra gas but I'm slow enough to need reliability.

If anyone is looking for a used JP to give adjustable gas a try I have one sitting in on my bench I can cut a deal for.

CM

I've got adj JP's on my .308 and .223 and yes it makes a big difference. Maybe I don't shoot enough or just got lucky but I've not had issues with the set screw moving with blue loctite (I didn't use the JP supplied version). After a few 1000 rds from these rifles they work fine. Once every 6 months or so I will check the set and never really have an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, agree.

+1

I think I know a guy that happened too at Fallen Brethren, oh wait, I am that guy. My adjustable gas block was set when the temperature was 95 degrees. I had it set at 1/4 turn more than the minimum to lock the carrier back on a empty mag. At FB3 it went into single shoot mode due to the lack of gas pressure. The temps were in the high 40's-50's. I had to open my gas up 1 1/2 turns from the previous setting to get my rifle to run properly. Lesson learned, that will never happen again.

James