Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Tactical's extractor information

Shenaniguns

Long story short, my made in March 2012 Gen 4 G19 ejects erratically including to my face with all the latest factory parts. Apex Tactical chose 10 people to test their latest prototype which I was one of them, initial testing discovered a sticking striker block on mine which was due to a missing bevel that you will see in the video. After sending it back for analysis they made the adjustment, sent it back and I had 400 rounds with no cases to the face. I only tested the extractor so far as I misplaced the heavier spring that was included.

My crude spreadsheet:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/7419bb1b.jpg

and videos:

Tim Lau of 10-8 Consulting also posted this of his testing:

I have been following various threads on this and other forums with great interest as I had an 18 month old Glock 17 RTF that suffered from erratic ejection patterns for quite a while before finally getting periodic stove pipe type malfunctions. I tried many of the fixes presented on this and other forums but never obtained adequate results (read: they never quite fixed the problem.)

Recently, my friend Randy Lee reached out and sent me a prototype of their extractor for Glock.

Not only has it made ejection more brisk and consistent, my 17 RTF now ejects cases without a magazine inserted. This is something none of the Glocks I have ever shot have ever done in any consistent fashion.

This is typically a test we do in our 1911 classes to evaluate optimal extractor function as the 1911 is prone to a nasty malfunction where an empty case can be dragged into the feed lips of a magazine should the extractor have less than optimal function.

The feed lip geometry of the Glock is not prone to this like that of the 1911 so it's not critical in the platform, but the test is still valid in the context of evaluating optimal extractor function, assuming the extractor doesn't have so much tension that it prevents the pistol from feeding.

You can check out my video of my comparison between the Apex Extractor for the Glock here:

Or check out my blog post on the topic here:

http://10-8training.blogspot.com/2012/07/apex-tactical-glock-extractor.html

Stay safe!

Tim Lau

10-8 Consulting, LLC

http://www.10-8consulting.com

I look forward to trying this extractor. I have started using my RTF Glock 17 in matches and had my first problems including a couple FTF/FTE (during a major match) that I have never experianced in the past. These were stovepipe type stoppages, almost like a double feed with the empty case more horizontal than a typical stovepipe. It was interesting to read you had similar problems with the same gun. I have never had any problems with my other Glocks, including a Gen4 Glock 19. Any information on availability? Thanks, John

What ammo are you running and what recoil spring? The only time I've had jams like that is when I run really weak ammo.

13lb ISMI and 135pf 9mm. That particular Glock is the only one I have had a problem with and only recently started using it in USPSA.

I've been beta testing one of the new Apex Glock extractors and have 1570 rounds through a Glock 19 with the part installed. This G-19 had been fairly problematic, displaying very erratic extraction and ejection. This bad performance included several 180 degree inline stovepipes and ejection from 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock depending on the phase of the moon and day of the week, it seemed. The new part is EDM machined bar stock instead of a casting/MIM, which immediately inspired some hope. Also included with the prototype part was a new extractor depressor plunger spring, which was also installed. All of the testing was done using the stock 336 ejector.

During several range sessions involving several different duty JHP loads, one FMJ factory practice load and two different reloads, the gun has run perfectly. There have been no feeding, extraction or ejection issues of any type. The gun ejects to the 4 o'clock position in a brass pile that looks like I'm running a tuned 1911. I've run 105 rounds through the gun using the standard 1911 extractor test involving a chambered round and no magazine on board. The gun has cleanly extracted and ejected every one of those rounds, again to the 4 o'clock position. Strong and support hand only shooting of over 100 rounds has also shown the same performance. In short, this part makes the gun run very well and very consistently. I've been shooting Glocks since 1988 and an armorer and advanced armorer on the platform since 1990 and I've always noted that the gun's extraction/ejection has been marginal. This part seems to crack the code on the problems that many new guns are displaying and it provides a significant layer of improvement and added performance to Glocks that may seem OK, but are truly running on the ragged edge.

Randy has a winner here. I'm hoping that he can get them to the market soon, because they are badly needed by lots of folks.

Edited by Wayne Dobbs

Over at glocktalk someone posted a new extractor from glock that is non dipped. They got them from Midway and supposedly fixed their extraction problems. However they are on backorder at this time. I hope Apex gets theirs out soon.

With the prototypes you guys are running, are you able to run reduced power recoil springs? A trade off with increased extraction is the smoothness of feeding new rounds due to both shape and tension of the extractor.

I can't wait for this to hit the market. I'm new to glocks (bought my first one about 8 months ago), and have had a couple of real lemon G34s. Glock finally replaced my first one, but the replacement is having problems as well. This extractor is the final hope before I toss them in a river and go try a different manufacturer....

-rvb

Over at glocktalk someone posted a new extractor from glock that is non dipped. They got them from Midway and supposedly fixed their extraction problems. However they are on backorder at this time. I hope Apex gets theirs out soon.

What does that mean, non-dipped? not finished or coated? what are the current ones dipped in?

-rvb <= Glock newb.

edit: nevermind. Google is my friend. Makes my question above look pretty stupid, huh! :o

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433595

Edited by rvb

dipped refers to the dip in the extractor as opposed to the straight design. when glock went to the mim extractors which started the whole brass in the face problem there was a noticable dip due to the process of the casting mold, if you go over to glock talk there is much debate on this topic with pictures of the different extractors.

Ryan, one thing you might try is using a .40 extractor in your 34. I tried the white sound defense HRED plunger and it helped some, then I installed a .40 LCI extractor in my 17 and it nows extracts and ejects fantastic. I have put about 500 rnds through it with perfect 3 to 4 oclock pattern. I shot 2 matches and the pro am without a single extraction issue.

Ryan, one thing you might try is using a .40 extractor in your 34. I tried the white sound defense HRED plunger and it helped some, then I installed a .40 LCI extractor in my 17 and it nows extracts and ejects fantastic. I have put about 500 rnds through it with perfect 3 to 4 oclock pattern. I shot 2 matches and the pro am without a single extraction issue.

Thanks for the tip. Tonight I'm testing a Gen 4 30274 ejector... one thing at a time, ya know.....

:cheers:

-rvb

I was wondering if this would work.(using a 40 extractor) I stopped shooting all Glock 9mm's several years ago because of the ejection/extraction issues. I would try something different , run a couple hundred rounds & think "its fixed", and then the problem would appear. I just accepted the fact that me and 9mm didn't get along. I'll wait to see how this all pans out for a true solution. It is interesting.

So does anyone have a production date?

Randy is hoping September...

My unofficial update is I'm 750 rounds of testing in and have not had any brass to the face in that 750, I did find that Remington UMC does eject over my head on occasion but it did the same with my buddies 2006ish Glock 19 Gen 3. I'm chalking that up to being crappy ammo as it even grouped horribly at a measley 7 yards while other ammo can produce one ragged whole consistently.

• 2 weeks later...