Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Holster Question

Allfat

Hello everyone, I am new here. I searched but could not find answers to my question.

A couple of days ago I took a USPSA safety class at a range that has a match this coming weekend. I really enjoyed the class and an looking forward to competing on Saturday.

Anyways, during the class, I was using my CC gun, a Ruger SR9c. I had it in my normal carry rig, which is a hybrid leather/kydex holster IWB with 2 clips to hold it to my belt. I also had a paddle magazine carrier. The instructor mentioned to me that my holster was not legal in competition, and he said that was because it was clipped to the belt, not threaded through it.

I looked at the USPSA rulebook and cannot find any rules pertaining to that at all. I sent the instructor an email for clarification, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone here have any input on the subject?

My dilemma is that the competition is in 5 days. Many holster makers have lead times of at least 3 weeks, which means I would have to buy something off the shelf, which may not be exactly what I want in the long term. If I can utilize my carry setup, I would much prefer to do that because the competition would get me more proficient with drawing and holstering from what I use day to day.

If he is correct, does anyone know of a place with a good holster for USPSA that would have one in stock that could ship out very soon? Let me know your thoughts, thank you!

I see many new shooters start out with IWB holsters because it is what they use to CC/CCW. Most do not stay with it for long just because of the difficulties in reholstering without sweeping themselves and getting DQ'ed. There are a number of quality holsters out there well suited for what we do. One of the more popular is the Bladetech line.

As to using an IWB holster, as an RO I would be looking for muzzle pointing more than 3' from the body as you holster it. Most quality IWB holsters are very securely attached to the belt. I have one where the clips are tighter than the loops because of the need to tuck your shirt in over it.

According to the RB you're OK, nowhere the RB we can found something about the retention nor the attachement to the belt, out of those specific to a class (2" from body max). But the RM have can declare an holster unsafe.

5.2.6 USPSA Handgun matches will not require the use of a particular type or brand of holster. However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match. Divisions may restrict a specific type of holster.

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:

5.2.7.1 A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise), except as specified in Rule 5.2.8,

5.2.7.2 A holster with the heel of the butt of the handgun below the top of the belt, except as specified in Appendix D, or otherwise indicated in Rule 5.2.8.

5.2.7.3 A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed, (here's some CC holster may pose problem)

5.2.7.4 A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun while holstered.

I can't see anything wrong, except it's not the best rig for competition, the muzzle angle seem ok.

But as the clips may cause problem with him, I think I have a easy fix for you.

Punch a little hole and put a metal eyelet (as the one used to fix your kydex) just near the clip, and only for competition, put a tie wrap trough it to lock the metal clip. May look silly, but absolutely legal, and you're sur to not draw a holstered gun instead of the gun itself. After the match, just cut the tie wrap and you're back with your original holster.

Here's a little drawing...

Sanstitrehcc.jpg

The RO is an idiot. This rig is very simaliar to the crossbreed style holsters. Nothing wrong with it. If you would use the idea from gunguru for this first match, cool. But I would ask the RO to show you the USPSA Rule that states the belt has to go thru loops on the holster. I have been shooting USPSA since 1986 and the rules have changed alittle, but I do not remember seeing a rule that states holster has to have loops for the belt to go thru. The holster is secure going thru the clips. I have several clip style holsters I use for USPSA and also IDPA. Of course, it is not very fast, but the reholstering can be a problem. Just do not sweep yourself. It looks like you can rehoslter with your strong hand only.

Thanks,

Mike

I shoot USPSA regularly from a IWB holster that only has 1 belt clip on it. there is no rule that governs how the holster is attached to the belt. there is a rule that your belt needs to be securely attached at your waist OR run through 3 belt loops on your pants, as long as it stays put when you draw it should be fine.

I have not yet shot a USPSA match with my pistol with a IWB belt clip and no separate holster, when I do if asked I will simply say my holster looks a lot like a pair of pants and it covers the trigger guard, please site a rule that says that's not OK. I did shoot it like that for a IDPA match without any problems.

Mike

PS nice holster

The RO is an idiot. This rig is very simaliar to the crossbreed style holsters. Nothing wrong with it. If you would use the idea from gunguru for this first match, cool. But I would ask the RO to show you the USPSA Rule that states the belt has to go thru loops on the holster. I have been shooting USPSA since 1986 and the rules have changed alittle, but I do not remember seeing a rule that states holster has to have loops for the belt to go thru. The holster is secure going thru the clips. I have several clip style holsters I use for USPSA and also IDPA. Of course, it is not very fast, but the reholstering can be a problem. Just do not sweep yourself. It looks like you can rehoslter with your strong hand only.

Thanks,

Mike

I shoot USPSA regularly from a IWB holster that only has 1 belt clip on it. there is no rule that governs how the holster is attached to the belt. there is a rule that your belt needs to be securely attached at your waist OR run through 3 belt loops on your pants, as long as it stays put when you draw it should be fine.

I have not yet shot a USPSA match with my pistol with a IWB belt clip and no separate holster, when I do if asked I will simply say my holster looks a lot like a pair of pants and it covers the trigger guard, please site a rule that says that's not OK. I did shoot it like that for a IDPA match without any problems.

Mike

PS nice holster

That is kind of what I thought, thanks for the fast answers guys, I appreciate it and look forward to competing this weekend!

Id use what ya got since it's your 1st match. If you really are considered about re holstering it, I'd just get a cheap Uncle Mikes or whatever the local shops have for cheap. If the bug bites ya you will be getting a new rig soon anyways......maybe even a new gun too. :rolleyes:

Id use what ya got since it's your 1st match. If you really are considered about re holstering it, I'd just get a cheap Uncle Mikes or whatever the local shops have for cheap. If the bug bites ya you will be getting a new rig soon anyways......maybe even a new gun too. :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah, I thought that may happen. I don't know yet though. I had a ton of fun in the safety class where we got to shoot a couple small example stages. I even won the "competition" we had with the other 7 newbies and me. We had two paper targets, one was half covered with a miss zone, and 2 steel poppers. We had to shoot from 2 different boxes. I got 4 Alphas and the steels, with no misses, in 10.66 seconds. I thought I did pretty good, it sure felt good, and it was fun!

At this stage of the game the quality of the holster is not a big issue. A cheap Uncle Mikes or Fobus will be more than enough to get you through the first couple of matches. While that is going on you can talk to other shooters and see what they are using. Then you can make an informed decision without being in a rush.