Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is titanium magnetic?

Erik,

I have looked through my materials data sheets, but haven't find anything useful.

Did a google search and came up with this short answer on a bikes forum http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-57138

But this other link http://hotmetals.ms.nwu.edu/research/ti-w.htm will provide a more scientific point of view.

Hope this helps.

Isn't Google amazing????

Basically what I could find with a Google search is that pure Ti is not magnetic, but an alloy containing some iron or oxides of iron could display some magnetic qualities.

FWIW

dj

http://metals.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite...tibilities.html

On the scale of the chart at that link, 0 is neutral, i.e. Conductive, but not Magnetic. Ferro = Magnetic and Conductive and the more negative the number is, the less conductive it is.

According to this chart, pure Titanium (Ti) is kinda, a little the + side of neutral, so there you have it. What you might have is a “really“ strong magnet and the parts aren’t pure Ti

I have always believed Titanium to be inert and non-ferrous, but conductive as hell. Great in fireworks too when in powdered form.

And yes, Google is not only amazing, it’s Awesome!

--

Regards,

Edited by George

In practice, any magnetic properties of most useful Ti alloys is negligible. That's one reason why dive knives for UDT teams are often made of Ti alloys ... so they don't accidentally detonate ordnance that might be affected by close proximity of magnetic material (like mines that are designed to detonate when close to the steel hull of a ship). Or so I've heard! :unsure:

In practice, any magnetic properties of most useful Ti alloys is negligible. That's one reason why dive knives for UDT teams are often made of Ti alloys ... so they don't accidentally detonate ordnance that might be affected by close proximity of magnetic material (like mines that are designed to detonate when close to the steel hull of a ship). Or so I've heard! :unsure:

rhino,

You are 100% correct except in the names you applied to the people using Ti knives. There aren't anymore UDT teams, all SEAL's now or the lessor known but justy as bad ass EOD guys.

They also use titanium for mine probes on land. It's also used in medical implants because it doesn't corrode in the human body like stainless steel will.

You generally see titanium in 3 forms.

pure Ti is kind of soft and not commonly used.

Ti 6-4: One part Ti, 6 parts Aluminum, and 4 part Vanadium, this is the most common also the strongest.

Ti 3-2.5: One part Ti, 3 parts Aluminum, 2.5 parts Vanadium

Scooter - not quite

Ti-6Al-4V is nominally 6% Aluminium, 4% Vanadium and the balance ~90% Titanium.

But .... getting back to the opening question. No, Titanium and the common titanium alloys should not be magnetic.