Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why so much carbon build up

RWF

IMG_7074.jpgIMG_7075.jpgIMG_7076.jpg

first i am NO KIND OF SHOTGUN person. this is the 2nd time i have noticed this. all this is from after the Rockcastle Shotgun championship well over 300 rounds shot the gun was clean before. the match, each night i would run a snake thru it 2 or 3 times. also i use the skeet choke the most and notice did have lead built up on it and use a screw driver to make sure it was all removed. the carbon build up starts just after the gas ports and last about 3-5" i guess. and was heavy and thick. it was hell to get loose lots of soaking and a brush on a drill. the ammo was 99% federal some 100 round box from wally world and 2.75 dram red, white and blue shells also federal.

so what is going on!?

I had better go clean my Versa Max....damn.

if you would, let me know if you also have this kind of build up. like i said, you can not miss it, it starts right after the gas ports.

Some of that is plastic from the wads. Shotguns are dirty creatures.

i never had kind of build up on my M2, BUT also never shot that many rounds between real cleanings.

so are saying it is because of the hi # of rounds along with the heat and hot barrel cause the plastic to start this.

I've been running a VersaMax since they came out and I have not had that problem.

I shoot Remington STS or my own reloads with International Clays, which is very clean.

Not sure what's up. I would guess it's the ammo.

My bet is on ammo.

I haven't cleaned mine yet but will patch it tonight. I've been practicing w/cheap Federal 100 pack. Mine likely looks the same. I hadn't planned on cleaning it until end of season...it's a shotgun :D

Dave

After rock castle mine was dirty as well and I short a couple hundred rounds the week before. In mine most of the buildup comes from the lead from slugs. At least that is what I think. My benelli had the same buildup after shooting a bunch of slugs.

You didn't say what gun you are shooting. I've put thousands through my SLP. All I've ever done is run a bore snake through it a few times. Not that it needed it, I just felt like I should be doing something. I shot a few hundred at the high plains match in 100 degree temps and it still looks fine.

Eta- I just checked my versa max. I've only got 75 rounds through it and there is a big ring of fouling about half way down the barrel. That was a mixture of federal target loads, slugs, some bucksot, and a couple 3" magnums. So much for not cleaning.

Edited by assaulter

You didn't say what gun you are shooting. I've put thousands through my SLP. All I've ever done is run a bore snake through it a few times. Not that it needed it, I just felt like I should be doing something. I shot a few hundred at the high plains match in 100 degree temps and it still looks fine.

Eta- I just checked my versa max. I've only got 75 rounds through it and there is a big ring of fouling about half way down the barrel. That was a mixture of federal target loads, slugs, some bucksot, and a couple 3" magnums. So much for not cleaning.

i guess it will be Versa Max thing, caught hell myself getting that ring out.

Who cut your barrel? I looked into it and was told it couldn't be done due to some reason I don't fully comprehend because I'm not a gunsmith. So I bought the tactical instead. Does yours still use pro bore chokes?

A shop out of Nashville has a gun smith that did it. i wanted the rem choke but he only does tru-choke. Wilson Combat also said that they could do it.

You clean your shotgun!!! :roflol: Kidding It happens to mine too depending on the ammo I use.

IMG_7074.jpgIMG_7075.jpgIMG_7076.jpg

first i am NO KIND OF SHOTGUN person. this is the 2nd time i have noticed this. all this is from after the Rockcastle Shotgun championship well over 300 rounds shot the gun was clean before. the match, each night i would run a snake thru it 2 or 3 times. also i use the skeet choke the most and notice did have lead built up on it and use a screw driver to make sure it was all removed. the carbon build up starts just after the gas ports and last about 3-5" i guess. and was heavy and thick. it was hell to get loose lots of soaking and a brush on a drill. the ammo was 99% federal some 100 round box from wally world and 2.75 dram red, white and blue shells also federal.

so what is going on!?

Vipers, thanks, that's the kind of info i was needing, but yes i cleaned it. :) but damn sure was planning to "work" i was thinking it would me quick and easy. Damn was i wrong!

RWF,

Doesn't look too bad. Yes it is ammo dependent. At least you didn't grab the wrong box of reloads. I also shoot Cowboy Action and reload Black Powder. Grabbed a box for the Gun Club Turkey Shoot and didn't check very close. :surprise: Too bad I didn't take any pictures of what 60gr of FFg and a Win Red wad do to a Browning Gold's barrel and gas piston. Needless to say, a LOT of elbow grease later I had a clean shotgun. Now all of the BP loads are marked with a black Marks a Lot pen on the base. The Flame from the muzzle was impressive tho. :devil:

thanks again, I was worried because seeing all that come out of the barrel was new to me.

A flaming shotgun,!? COOL!!! as long as it was not mine or had to clean it. :)

Cleaning the 1887 Winchester isnt bad. Put a cork in the muzzle, fill with hot, soapy water or other cleaning agent and let sit. Then remove cork and push a 1/2 sheet of paper towel through. Removes the powder fouling and the pastic snot. Put up with the snot, because the long forcing cone doesn't allow fiber wads to seal well at all. I got better patterns with the plastic wads vs. traditional fiber wads. It was harder to clean the Browning because I had to plug the gas ports and then really clean them out afterwards.