Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550 Off to Dillon for Refurbish

Well got tired of trying to get my RL 550 to cycle smoothly it seems to have had a tuff time of it in storage. Couldn't seem to get it to move back off the priming station, I was having to manually pull the operating handle back so I could index the casings. So it's off to Dillon hopefully they'll receive it on the 10th and I'll get it back this month yet. Still have my 2 650's one each for small and large primers to load my 45's and 38's on. But I wanted to get the 550 going for other calibers. I have a complete quickchange set up for 9mm on the 650. Only one case feeder but I do have it setup so I can just move it over the the press I'm using.

I have frequently wished that I could call a tech out to give my 550b a little tune-up.

My 550b is the only press I have ever used so I often ask myself, "Is this normal?"

Of course it's normal that you've only used a 550B. :D

Here is the information from Dillon reference RL 550 service.

"It sounds like your loader is in need of lubrication is all.

We charge $67.95 for clean and lube service, which includes return shipping in the 48 contiguous US.

We strip it down, clean it in the solvent tank, inspect it; replacing all worn or damaged parts

(missing parts are not covered) and then re-lube and reassemble it. Typical In-house turnaround time is about 2 weeks."

If this information will help you my press was not operating well and had been dropped/knocked over by one of our curious cats during a reorganizing move to a different bench. Got to love cats who think they need to rub up against and check out everything you are working with.

They gave me a RMA number to return the press when they heard it had been dropped and possibly froze up. They received it the 10th so I will be looking to get it back in a couple of weeks.

Edited by GR8GIFT

I just had this done with my 550, when it came back it literally was like having a new press. Mine was stored poorly for about five years and it is better than ever when it came back.

Dillon is great to work with ad I am very happy with what they did it was worth it.