Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Andy Griffith

wgnoyes

Ron Howard has often commented that Andy was like a second father to him. Ron's real father (actor Rance Howard) said in an interview that in some ways he was a little jealous of Andy because he got to spend more time with Ron than he did. But that he knew that Ron could not have a better role model for what an actor should be. He credited Andy in no small part for helping keep his son from falling prey to the kind of ego problems so many child actors fall into. High praise indeed.

Andy created a timeless reflection of society based not on what was fashionable, but on what was basic. The values displayed - kindness, honesty, accountability and consideration - were and are relevant to all generations. That's why the show has survived and flourished for some 60 years. I can't think of another show with that record. Can you?

I saw an interview once where Andy admitted that off-camera, he and Don Knotts were complete and exact opposites of their on-camera personas. Andy would be the bounce-around-like-a-pinball type while 'Barney' would be slouched down in a chair, at most giving a grin for all the activity going on around him. If I'd have heard it from anyone else I wouldn't have believed it.

If you never got a chance to experience Andy's comic side, please click here:

When you're done with that, I invite you to see what I consider the single funniest bit ever filmed for television:

The Story Of Romeo and Juliet

Ron Howard's enthusiasm for the story mirrors my own. Check it out.

Hark!, and RIP, Andy.

("...they said "Hark" a whooooole lot back then...")

Andy, you did what no real estate agent could ever do -- you made me want to move to Mayberry, North Carolina. I was in love of your world.

(nuthin against North Carolina....I just wouldn't have ever thought of it otherwise)

I was raised in North Carolina. Believe it or not, for all of his reputation as a comedic and home-spun actor, he got his first taste of stardom playing Sir Walter Raleigh in the outdoor drama "The Lost Colony" on Manteo Island. (That is a big deal, for those who don't know. It tells the story of the first English colonists in the Carolinas).

God Speed, Andy!

Edited by Braxton1