Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dual Use Equipment for IDPA & USPSA

Pensfan

Hello everyone,

I have been shooting USPSA Production division this year and and starting to look at IDPA SSP as well for several reasons. I think I will be transitioning more to IDPA over the course of the year and eventually focus on IDPA. That said, I will still shoot both sports as I really enjoy them both for different reasons so I want my gear to be as similar as possible for muscle memory, drills, etc.

Right now I am shooting a CZ 75B from a Bladetech DOH holster, CR Speed Mag Pouches, and a CR Speed two piece outer/inner belt. From what I understand, none of that is legal in it's current configuration for IDPA. I can drop the DOH attachment and use the holster straight on the belt. However the CR Speed gear will not work for SSP right?

What is the best gear to use that is legal for both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production?

Thanks and have a blessed day!

- Timothy

Hello everyone,

I have been shooting USPSA Production division this year and and starting to look at IDPA SSP as well for several reasons. I think I will be transitioning more to IDPA over the course of the year and eventually focus on IDPA. That said, I will still shoot both sports as I really enjoy them both for different reasons so I want my gear to be as similar as possible for muscle memory, drills, etc.

Right now I am shooting a CZ 75B from a Bladetech DOH holster, CR Speed Mag Pouches, and a CR Speed two piece outer/inner belt. From what I understand, none of that is legal in it's current configuration for IDPA. I can drop the DOH attachment and use the holster straight on the belt. However the CR Speed gear will not work for SSP right?

What is the best gear to use that is legal for both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production?

Thanks and have a blessed day!

- Timothy

Your assessment is correct, the CR Speed gear is not IDPA legal. There are many holster makers that also make mag pouches that are, Bladetech is one. What is the "best gear" is a loaded question, everyone will have differnt take. If you like you holster, just look for some Bladetech pouches.

hmmm... seems like there really isn't a good way to thread the CR belt through loops with the mag pouches and holster in place. I think I am stuck in a USPSA mindset for the gear haha

I would be wary of using the CR Speed outer belt, especially at a major due to it most likely being deemed as "competition only" by IDPA. In that game, a stiffer belt is not really going to give you an edge at all because all you have to support is a holster and two mag pouches. Just use your daily carry belt as your IDPA belt and you'll be fine. The Ready Tactical mag pouches that you can purchase at CPWSA are excellent for both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production, and taking the DOH attachment off of your BT holster will also work fine.

I would be wary of using the CR Speed outer belt, especially at a major due to it most likely being deemed as "competition only" by IDPA.

I thought the same way until I recently saw a photo of one of the top name shooters wearing the Safariland ELS belt through the loops of pants at a major match. In am guessing this ruling has been changed. I have seen nothing in print but with all the attention these guys/girls get, I would think someone would have noticed.

Excellent, thanks for the tips everyone.

So I think am going with my existing BladeTech holster with the DOH removed so it is mounted straight to the belt, and the BladeTech Revolution Double pouch with paddle attachment (getting two of these for USPSA), and the Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt with the CSM reinforcement.

Thanks everyone!

:)

Be sure to get the widest belt that will fit your pants - a 1 3/4 belt, w. a stiffener from The Beltman will also work well - I've used both it, and a Wilderness tactical belt before in IDPA.

I prefer drawing from the Beltman leather belt, but the Wilderness tactical is easier to get my gear on.

I run 5.11 belts in IDPA and CompTac holsters or some that a fellow shooter makes out near Manchester TN. I run 1 1/2" belts too for ease of gear and clothing options. I just run that gear in the same position with extra mag pouches further behind for USPSA and I never move my pistol foreward or down, one for carry gear and two for consistant location. Not terribly familiar with the CZ, but is it SA or a SA/DA piece? If only single action you will be in ESP. IDPA can be fun but it does have it's quirks. You pretty much are tied to shooting the stage one way usually, kind of learn the dance and have fun.

Hello: I use the CR Speed inner belt and Comp-tac belt holster and 2 single mag pouches. They are the fastest I have used and ship very quickly. Using the inner belt allows you to leave your USPSA setup alone. Comp-tac also make a great leather belt for carry or IDPA. I have one I wear everyday and have done so for the last 3 years. It is 1.5" wide and 1" at the buckle. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Excellent, thanks for the tips everyone.

So I think am going with my existing BladeTech holster with the DOH removed so it is mounted straight to the belt, and the BladeTech Revolution Double pouch with paddle attachment (getting two of these for USPSA), and the Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt with the CSM reinforcement.

Thanks everyone!

:)

Pretty much what I used but I had single mag pouches made by someone from GlockTalk, still works, been using them for 5 years.