Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp and Unique Power

dhaase30

Hello all, I am new to reloading and am setting up my new Dillon Square Deal B. I am loading .45 acp with Unique powder (its all I could find in San Diego). Any suggestions on load weights. I was thinking 5.0, but would like to go down to 4.6-4.8. Will my Springfield 1911/17 lb. recoil spring run. Thanks.

Hello all, I am new to reloading and am setting up my new Dillon Square Deal B. I am loading .45 acp with Unique powder (its all I could find in San Diego). Any suggestions on load weights. I was thinking 5.0, but would like to go down to 4.6-4.8. Will my Springfield 1911/17 lb. recoil spring run. Thanks.

What bullet are you using and what OAL? Do you have any reloading manuals? I'm not in front of my books but 4.6 sounds WAY low unless you are not using 230gr. For 230gr FMJ I was using 6.0gr for a 230gr plated round @ 1.26 with a 16lbs spring. I strongly recommend picking up some reloading manuals if you don't have any.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Yes, 230gr FMJ. It appears that Unique requires more powder than other brands.

Regarding muzzle velocity. as a beginner IPSC shooter, do I care how much FPS the charge provides or am I looking for the lighest recoil while still running my gun flawlessly?

IPSC/USPSA is governed by Power Factors.

Major Scoring is 165. Bullet weight times Velocity divided by 1000, eg: 720 fps times 230 grain bullet= 165.6 PF

Minor Scoring is 125 (I think). Bullet weight times Velocity divided by 1000

Shooting a .45 with a 230 grain bullet at 750 is pretty soft shooting, especially if you have the correct powder. I am sorry, I am not familiar with your powder, but as the above posters have mentioned, loading manuals or a must, many can be found online. You will also need access to a chronograph at some point. Befriend a shooter on your squad, most have them.

Enjoy

Regarding muzzle velocity. as a beginner IPSC shooter, do I care how much FPS the charge provides or am I looking for the lighest recoil while still running my gun flawlessly?

The first thing, after figuring out the proper OAL, is find a load that shoot accurately and consistently out of our gun(s) and then adjust charge weights, springs, etc. If your load doesn't shoot well FPS probably doesn't matter.

If your load doesn't shoot well FPS probably doesn't matter.

Mmm... Yes and No... I have, a few times, had a load that grouped like crap and when I chrono'd it was 125-126ish PF. When I bumped the load up a few tenths so that I was getting 132-134 PF my groups tightened right up.

So, while I agree with your premise (because we obviously all want tight groups), it always matters what your load is doing. The most accurate load we all desire isn't always (and usually isn't) the lightest mouse fart.

If your load doesn't shoot well FPS probably doesn't matter.

Mmm... Yes and No... I have, a few times, had a load that grouped like crap and when I chrono'd it was 125-126ish PF. When I bumped the load up a few tenths so that I was getting 132-134 PF my groups tightened right up.

So, while I agree with your premise (because we obviously all want tight groups), it always matters what your load is doing. The most accurate load we all desire isn't always (and usually isn't) the lightest mouse fart.

I guess my point was that you find the load that shoots well first and then worry about how fast it goes.

• 1 month later...

You may find, like I have, that 5.0gn and 6.0gn of Unique are excellent loads in bullets from 185gn to 230gn.

You can load Unique down as low as you like. The only problems are the powder will burn poorly and, at very low charge weights, you can stick a bullet (I find this is usually at a charge weight less the 1.5gn)

• 3 months later...

My Lee manual has a start load for unique of 6.0 gr. and a max load of 6.0 gr. not sure what thats about? anybody have experience in loading over 6.0 gr. with unique? BTW I'm using Precision Delta 230 gr. FMJ

Edited by dblaelliott