Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbrest for my G35

PrinC

Hey guys and gals. I just came from the range practice where my good friend bought and put a thumbrest on his newly acquired tanfoglio competition pistol in 40 caliber. He came close to giving me a whooping but I was able to edge him out.I own and use the Glock 35 in 40 caliber. Is there any site known where I can get a thumbrest to put on my competition G35? Have you ever seen one for glock competition pistols?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

In our neck of the woods some of our shooters have thumbrests attached to their tanfoglios and Sigs. They use their firearms for both target shooting and IPSC matches. Since no fuss is being made about them using the thumbrest on their guns, why can't I spruce up my glock to get the benefit as well? Thats my rationale.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya PrinC, Something like the *thumb rest [generic]* for the glock, either in stock configuration or with SJC mount IS needed... if anyone comes up with something more permanent, please post it here

@ Pipeliner: Sorry for the delayed response, its a GripForce beavertail, brownells/etc carries them

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on a design the uses the bolt pattern on the Carver Mount. My early prototype designs cracked over time so I've been adding material

at the stress points. I have 4 Ultem material thumbrests that I'm going to test out soon. The Ultem material should be stronger than the polycarbonate

parts I've been using. These parts are created using a 3d rapid prototype "printer" if you will. I can print parts using ABS plastic, polycarbonate and Ultem.

I'll report back after I've had a chance to run them on my G17 open.

Bill

post-7514-0-40020200-1344353156_thumb.jp

If you're attaching to the side of a scope mount, Dawson's thumb rest works pretty well:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1FF0000-1094593467

I have one on my Aimpoint mount with an angle & position similar to this photo from Dawson:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/012-001.jpg

I attached w/glue & dry-fired it for a few days until I was sure where I wanted it, then marked the position, and had a machinist friend drill & tap the scope mount.

For a Glock w/no scope mount you might try dishing out the thick section directly forward of the take-down lever. The trick is to not slip and remove material from the bottom of your dished-out section. A Dremel bit is too short and the accessory rail gets in the way so I used a fat drill bit covered in Emory cloth. If you have long thumbs and like using a Bob Vogel type grip (some inward twisting force at the top of both hands) then you might find that's all the thumb shelf you need. I did that to my CCF glock frame and to my plastic glock frame & it works well.

The Vogel grip doesn't work that well on my scoped STI (thumb is too high, shelf too far from centerline) and the whole-hand clamping I use on the scoped STI doesn't work that well on the Glocks (shelf too small, too low, too far farward). It's two very different ways to hold the gun, I'm going to try both ways when I have a new Limited STI made for 2013.

• 9 months later...

Since thumb rests are legal for limited, would one that somehow clamps onto the bottom rail be legal?

Don't see how it would be illegal. I've had a thought of taking an SJC lug used to mount the scope and screwing a thumb rest to them.

Since thumb rests are legal for limited, would one that somehow clamps onto the bottom rail be legal?

Don't see how it would be illegal. I've had a thought of taking an SJC lug used to mount the scope and screwing a thumb rest to them.

I did that with my G22 Open when I switched from the SJC mount to the Carver mount. It worked pretty good.

I did that with my G22 Open when I switched from the SJC mount to the Carver mount. It worked pretty good.

Pics?