Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

O/U's, Beretta, Blaser, Perazzi, Krieghoff

Wild Gene

I may not end up with a custom gun, but I will head up to Polson MT with what ever I end up with for lessons and a stock fitting

That's the way to do it IMO.

Overall, you will find that all the popular action "types" like Browning, Beretta 680 series, Perazzi and kriegoff have won many matches and been around a long time.

Meaning, they are reliable and durable enough, have enough variations in balance, weights, barrel lengths, etc, used succesfully by shooters who vary in style and physical size.

Having instruction and stock fitting by a good person/persons will be the most important and I would include that 'cost', and work your back to whatever gun fits in your budget.

Meaning, if you had $3,000-$5,000 total to spend, the cost of stock fitting and lessons(included) will bring you back to the Browning and Beretta 680 series more than likely.

Have $5,000- $8,000- Fitting, lessons and you are probably back to a new Beretta 682, used DT-10, Perazzi/Kreighoff.

$10,000+....your choice.. :)

You could do it for $2,500 or less with an auto...you might have moleskin, duct tape on the stock...but scores 'tell the story'..........I like ugly guns too. :D

If I could step back in time....stock fitting and lessons....save a lot of money, time and "anguish".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Beretta DT-10 last year and I could not be happier with the feel of the gun. I shoot with friends that have Krieghoff and Perazzi shotguns that have the same feeling about their purchases. I didn't have 15K to spend on a K-80 so I went with the Beretta. If I only shot clays I might go with a higher grade shotgun, but USPSA and 3 gun stand in the way of that for now. The DT-10 is an outstanding shotgun and the fit and finish are equal to some of the more expensive shotguns on the market. Go shoot all of them and pick the one that fits you and your budget and be happy with your purchase.

For the high end beretta's I would go with an ASE over the D10. The ASE is a better built, nicer version at that price point than the DT-10

Got to agree with this. The ASE got too expensive so the DT-10 was introduced to be able to sell to a price point. Now, the DT-11 has been released to further cut costs.

I don't mean to disparage someone's gun but the DT-10 is a shadow of the gun it replaced. It is still very good and durable gun, better than the 680-series not only because it is heavier but it isn't as good as K- or P-gun.

IMHO I would look for a standard grade K-80.The skeet guys are going to high ribs and there a lot of nice buys on 30" tubed guns floating around. 682 if on budget.The Kolars are very nice guns as well.

Edited by us820

Caesar Guerini anyone? Thoughts or opinions please.

On a technical level, probably equivalent to a 680 series Beretta or Browning Citori. Personally, I would put them below the level of the two B-guns as they do not have the same track record. I'd buy a Beretta or Browning every day of the week before I bought a Guerini.

Again, I'm not saying they're bad guns, but I'd rather have a known entity.

Edited by leftnose

Caesar Guerini anyone? Thoughts or opinions please.

On a technical level, probably equivalent to a 680 series Beretta or Browning Citori. Personally, I would put them below the level of the two B-guns as they do not have the same track record. I'd buy a Beretta or Browning every day of the week before I bought a Guerini.

Again, I'm not saying they're bad guns, but I'd rather have a known entity.

I am thinking you are spot on.

g

I keep reading that Beretta has hooooorrible customer service though for repairs etc. Any input on that? (Im in the market, in theory, for a sporting gun)

I keep reading that Beretta has hooooorrible customer service though for repairs etc. Any input on that? (Im in the market, in theory, for a sporting gun)

Gosh, I hope I'm not monopolizing this thread.

Yes and no Beretta has horrible customer service. I've had them tell me things on the phone that are flat out wrong. There was a time when you couldn't get someone on the phone; you would sit on hold for an hour. They never have parts in stock (but you can get what you need from Cole in FL or Brownells).

BUT, if you send a gun in to them, they do good work and they do it quickly. I cracked a receiver on a 3901 and they gave me an entire new gun. Another time, I sent in a 391 to have a bit of work done. I had installed an aftermarket recoil pad on the gun which came with larger screws (bigger diameter) than what the OEM pad used. Over time, the one screw stripped out its hole and the recoil pad was a bit loose. I didn't even mention it to Beretta (the work was on the receiver) but they took the time to pull the stock, re-seat the recoil spring tube, install some sort of threaded insert into the stripped hole and swap out the screws on the recoil pad so it is nice and snug again. This was all detailed on the work order but they didn't even charge me a dime for it.

So, customer service is pretty bad but they do good work.

I have also heard good and bad about most all service departments.

Leftnose, don't feel you are taking over the thread, I enjoy your replies.

I ordered a DT11. I picked it up but was not able to do an inspection at the time. It turned out that the front stock had a big crack in it. Actually, multiple cracks, and so I promptly contacted the Beretta Premium Dealer that I purchased the gun from, and they told me to send the front stock back. We will see what they say....

Wish me luck!

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

Doesn't suprize me. from 682 (not the E) to DT-10 quality declined and small errors became more commmon (miss-aligned beads, cracks, doubling). I'm saddened but not suprized to see the DT-11 fallow suit. I shot a DT-10 around the world for 7 years and although it never left me stranded I watched others that did. Actually the original wood cracked on the stock and foreend before I put custom fit wood on.

I went back to Perazzi. the absolute cumstom fit (order what you want down to the last detail) made the difference for me. As most top guys will tell you, it doesn't matter as much what you shoot as if it fits.

IMO K-guns are different. I cant shoot them but that probably due to 20yrs of P-guns and a little time on beretta.

note: I bought a used 682 (old one, not E) for duck hunting and love it. Those were bulletproof.

Doesn't suprize me. from 682 (not the E) to DT-10 quality declined and small errors became more commmon (miss-aligned beads, cracks, doubling). I'm saddened but not suprized to see the DT-11 fallow suit. I shot a DT-10 around the world for 7 years and although it never left me stranded I watched others that did. Actually the original wood cracked on the stock and foreend before I put custom fit wood on.

I actually think it got beat up in shipping somewhere. Possibly in transit to me, you never know. I just know I was ill.

wg

• 2 months later...

DT-11 is back. It was repaired at no charge other than my shipping the gun to my dealer. They replaced the front stock and it looks great.

I did a quick once over and took that thing out and shot some clays. I was amazed (no I had not shot it before hand). It is without a doubt the softest shooting 12 guage anything I have ever fired. Very nice. It feels great. I need to get a few thousand rounds through it and I'll be good to go.

One thing, the Beretta case is crap. Just plan on getting a new one. I would never consider flying with this case.

I am still grinning. This is just a joy to shoot.

Take care,

WG

A gun you did not mention that deserves a very close look is the Kolar. It is built in the US and incorporates the best features of the Krieghoff, Beretta and Perazzi rolled into one gun. I own and have owned numerous high grade Krieghoffs and Perazzis and 3 Kolars. The Kolars are extremely well balanced with fit and finish equal to or better than any of the European guns.

One thing, the Beretta case is crap. Just plan on getting a new one. I would never consider flying with this case.

FWIW, the best case for flying is the Pelican. Cut out the middle layer of foam to fit your gun and you're good to go!

If you just want something nice to go back and forth to the club, an Americase is hard to beat but I wouldn't fly with one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been around a long time, and have shot most brands. I recently acquired a 32" Blaser Luxus, and think it is the best of the lot.

I sold five guns that the Blaser replaced. Skeet, Trap (including handicap), Sporting, Bunker. It was bought for Bunker, but has proved its mettle at the other disciplines.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been around a long time, and have shot most brands. I recently acquired a 32" Blaser Luxus, and think it is the best of the lot.

I sold five guns that the Blaser replaced. Skeet, Trap (including handicap), Sporting, Bunker. It was bought for Bunker, but has proved its mettle at the other disciplines.

This goes back to the guy with one rifle saying. You have one gun, you can shoot it, and shoot it well.

I am still having a little issue with the idea of covering my targets vs floating them a little, but went out and shot the best round of skeet I have ever had with my DT11 Sporting. I am enjoying it for Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting. I have never honestly had a shotgun I have enjoyed so much.

Happy the Blaser is working out for you.

wg