Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Upper/Conversion kit?

bessy

Hello,

I have a couple of questions for the Tanfoglio experts

1. When am I going to be able to buy a stock 3?, baring that, where is the best place to look for a stock 2 in 9mm? EDIT(In the US ;) )

2. Maybe this isn't the place for this... but I'm trying to locate a 45 conversion upper for my Tanfoglio match. I've been shooting a tanfo limited 40 for about a year now and I love it. The only problem I have now is that I shoot heavy metal in 3-gun. Rather than buy a whole new rig to replace my 1911 I figure I can just get a 45 conversion for my backup tanfoglio match and run that. I'm having trouble finding a 45 conversion that has the super sight (not the crappy stock sights).. any idea's folks? Does Hennaing sell conversion units or top ends?

Is the best course of action here to buy a stock 45 conversion from EAA , and stick the new Henning sights on?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by bessy

Bessy,

1. Stock IIIs think ISG is going to import them and they are not set up yet. You may call EAA and they could give you an idea.

2. While you are talking to EAA there are a variety of top ends you can order. On the web site under parts they show a long-slide with a "Super Sight" This is under $300. What the web sight does not show is that they have top end conversions for all the models they sell and prices go up accordingly. And for the most part they will all fit on any Witness gun you want to put them on. The sticking point is that they are reluctant to sell you a Gold top end to go on a standard pistol, but are willing to sell you one if you have a long dustcover Limited. If you run into this problem call Henning as he has been very helpful in the past. There are some combinations that will work that are not safe. Most are compact guns with short dustcovers and Slides that are designed for longer frames. This opens a gap where you can loose a piece of your hand if you grip the gun wrong.

Henning sights are great you can not go wrong with them. So far for me I have yet to have a issue with the "Super Sight" on any of my top ends. Many other competitors have had major issues. As I am just a duffer I will stick to the factory for now and keep Henning on my speed dial when it finally has an issue. I do use his fiber optic sight as they are significantly brighter and narrower than the factory fiber optic.

Hope some of this helps.

10mmjunkie

Last year I bought a 40 cal top end from EAA it cost me $ 286 it came with one k40 mag and it was tight but works just fine. Its mounted on a old open gun I just take the dot off and use it as my Limited back up gun. I did just call EAA yesterday and it took 4 phone calls to get someone to pick up about ordering a gold team in .38 to put it on my limited gun the price was $565.00 plus $10.00 shipping and then I will have Two open guns and two Limited , so 4 guns on two frames. I aslo tried out my stock 1 top end on my open gun for fun and it ran like a champ it is now my new steel gun.

bessy - what did you find out about the .45 Limited top? I'm looking for either the Limited or Elite Match .45 top also

Sorry for the late reply, better late than never. They were more than willing to sell me an upper but specified that it "must be fitted by a gunsmith", which made me pause. When I inquired about whether it was just limited uppers that needed to be "Fit" or all uppers, the response was that ALL uppers that were different calibers than the original gun needed to be fitted.... I was under the impression that they were drop in. (my .22lr conversion was).

Has anyone had to "fit" their conversions? or is EAA just covering their behind?

They are covering their behind. Most of the time, it just works, as long as it's large frame to large frame, or small frame to small frame. Since, in the US, almost all current vintage Tanfoglio's are large frame, there's not as much need to worry about the large vs small issue.

They are covering their behind. Most of the time, it just works, as long as it's large frame to large frame, or small frame to small frame. Since, in the US, almost all current vintage Tanfoglio's are large frame, there's not as much need to worry about the large vs small issue.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the conversion this morning. After much debate I ordered a Match upper. The price difference between the match and limited uppers was 110 bucks. (350 vs 464) My thoughts were, I'd rather have a match with Henning sights than a limited with the super sight. I've also noticed the polygonal rifled barrel on my limited tends to accumulate more moly/lead fouling then the match. I also ordered 4 extra magazines at 25 bucks a piece.

One thing I found really odd, was that the limited conversion came with a magazine, but no base pad.... seemed weird they would send a mag you couldn't use.

Thanks so much for all the help guys. Looks like I need to call Henning and order a new set of sights, and some grips. I'm gonna be broke.... I really wish he made some cheaper ones out of plastic ;-)

Edited by bessy