Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10lbs of Powder, what to order for 9mm, 45 possible 40 loads?

IrishPsych

So I'm joining a local group buy for powder and cant decide on what to order. The more reading I do the longer my list gets its maddening haha!

On my list are 231, Titegroup, Clays, and Bullseye.

I've used 231 and Bullseye with no complaints then again I havent chrono'd them either. I will be shooting 124gr plated and 200gr plated both in springfield 1911's. Might add a 40 XDM to the mix as everyone is telling me its best for USPSA....but them all the 45 supplies I bought will just collect dust, Not sure on that yet.

I've heard great things about clays for light recoils and cleanliness but TOUGH to meter as it's picky.

Doesn't Unique burn too fast for have sharper recoil?

Is there a single powder I should get for both 9mm and 45? Or split it and get 4lbs for caliber and 4lbs for another?

Thanks

I like Titegroup. It's a fast burning powder that was designed for accuracy. It meters well thru my Dillon and Lee powder measures, it's clean burning...you won't find unburnt powder in your barrel. It's designed to ignite consistently regardless of the position it's laying inside the case. Also a very efficient powder, a little goes a long way, so more rounds per pound. The downside to this is that if you're not paying attention, you could easily double charge.

I use this for 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .357 Mag, .45 acp and .45 Long Colt.

Hard to make a powder recommendation with out a bullet type but from your list:

Clays - Best 45 period. Try some Bayou or Precision Moly bullets for best results. (2nd WST).

231 - Excellent in the 40 shoots like WST.

TiteGroup - Heats the gun up way hot, didn't burn clean for me, and I felt it had more recoil than other powders at same velocity.

BullsEye - Snappy.

WST will shoot very good in 40 and 45 again excels with Moly or Lead bullets.

9 mm is the rub - WST works good but and I hate to say it TiteGroup works better with 124gr Jacketed. But if it is moly or lead WST. N320 is the absolute best in 9 mm regardless of bullet type. IMR7625 is also good for 9 minor and I should add very safe. Try some 135gr Bayou with WST or 231 very nice shooting and accurate.

It depends on your purpose for each load. Given your guns respective OAL's:

Clays: 9mm Minor, 40 Minor, 45 Major

WST: 9mm Minor, 40 Minor, 45 Major

N320/Titegroup: 9mm Minor, 40 Minor/Major, 45 Major

WSF: 9mm Minor/+P, 40 Minor/Major, 45 Major/+P

I use WSF for 9mm Minor (& +P duplicate loads) and all 45 loads. I use WST for 40 Major, loaded long @ 1.20" OAL in my G20SF. I didn't care for WST in 9mm for some reason, but it made some really soft shooting ammo in 45.

Edited by MEAT

Clays - Best 45 period. Try some Bayou or Precision Moly bullets for best results. (2nd WST).

TiteGroup - Heats the gun up way hot, didn't burn clean for me, and I felt it had more recoil than other powders at same velocity.

BullsEye - Snappy.

9 mm is the rub - WST works good but and I hate to say it TiteGroup works better with 124gr Jacketed. But if it is moly or lead WST. N320 is the absolute best in 9 mm regardless of bullet type. IMR7625 is also good for 9 minor and I should add very safe. Try some 135gr Bayou with WST or 231 very nice shooting and accurate.

9mm bullets are 125gr Xtreme Plated and some left over 124 moly

45 are 200gr xtreme plated

Recoil wise, should I be concerned about Titegroup and N320?

Edited by IrishPsych

BullsEye - Snappy.

9mm bullets are 125gr Xtreme Plated and some left over 124 moly

45 are 200gr xtreme plated

Recoil wise, should I be concerned about Titegroup and N320?

Recoil wise N320 is like shooting an air soft, and the sound won't knock your fillings out, TiteGroup hits a bit harder and a bit louder.

Tite group burns very hot and I don't use it for Moly or bullets with Lead butts.

Since plated bullets follow the same loads as cast lead or moly just treat it like a moly load. You can use WST in 45 and WST in the rest. Like I said WST isn't that great in 9 mm, but many will tell you it is great, and that is because they have not tried N320.

If you have fowling issues back off on the crimp, make sure you are not cutting the plating when seating. If you are using a Lee Factory Crimp die, ditch it and get a plain taper crimp die. The Lee FCD can under size bullets and cause fowling (lead, moly, and plated). But if it is working don't fix it.

I use Titegroup sucessfully in 9mm (jacketed),.40 (jacketed), and .45 (moly and plated). Clay's is a great powder for .45 and works well with lead.

I've had a few shooting buddies blow their guns up with Clay's in 9mm. Load it short and you could be buying a new gun. I found it to be super soft shooting in 9mm, but not very accurate.

My personal experience with N320 is it's comprable to Titegroup and can be hard to find in stock. Plus TG is half the cost. TG does eat up my powder hopper.

I plan to give WST a try in some 9mm 147gr moly bullets I have that TG was too hot/smokey for

• 2 weeks later...

BullsEye - Snappy.

Coco, how much 231 are you running with the 135 Bayous? Thanks, Kirby

I'm surprised noone else has said this yet, but 10lbs is an awful lot of powder to order at once for someone who doesn't know what powder they want.

I like Universal for 9mm jacketed, WST for anything moly, and Clays and WST for .45acp jacketed.

It might make sense for you to try some 1lb "samples" of a few powders to see what you like before ordering in bulk.