Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunter vs. Stock

jerryg22

My LGS has a used original Stock (circa 2006) and a Hunter from the same time period, both in .45acp and both are like 99%. Which would be more accurate with tighter groups for paper punching? Both have cone barrels and of course using iron sights a 6" sight radius would have an advantage over a 5" one. The Stock does have the Supersight.

Have a limited 40 top end on my hunter and both 45 and 10mm uppers as well. Both will likely exceed your ability to shoot them until you approach master class. I think the 6 inch barrels are easier for me to shoot well, but it is because I like the weight forward. My kids prefer the shorter Limited top end and they can clear a six plate rack of 5 inchers in under 3 seconds. Brings tears of pride and joy to my eyes, but I still make them walk home.

My advice is to find an inexpensive bullet that shoots well in you gun and develop a load for it. Your choice will be found on the target.

10mmjunkie

P.S. Montana Gold 185 HPs and Tightgroup work real well in my Hunter.

Tighter groups out of a vise? It's a wash.

Tighter groups free hand? Hunter maybe, but you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference.

Interesting to learn. I would imagine that there might be a difference if one was manufactured looser?

Jerryg22,

Out with my Limited yesterday and put my target at the farthest point (22yds on this range). I was hoping everything would stay in the 9 ring. After 28 shots (2 mags) not only were all shots in the 10 ring but I obliterated the X ring at the 9 o clock position with a few flyers in the 10 ring. This is the gun I normally do not shoot as well. Pretty sure the flyers are my fault. Both guns you mention are accurate from a mechanical point of view. Which one you will shoot best will be found on the firing line, after a little load testing.

Have fun testing, I always do.

JW

Well I decided on the Stock and will post a range report soon. It all had to do with my preference for the wonder finish as opposed to an all blue. I also liked the definition of the sight picture from the supersight on the Stock.

Just got back from the range to compare the Stock to my Elite Match 9mm. Sunny and hot with no wind. Outdoor shooting distance 25 yards with a two hand hold. Used 50 rounds 185gr JHP reloads. Used all 4 magazines to check function. Not one misfeed or problem. Accuracy was OK. Here's a pic of my first group before I adjusted the sights. Once adjusted I was pretty much in the 10 ring. Bottom line, it's good, but . . . . . I much prefer the SAO trigger of my Elite Match in 9mm as well as lower recoil.

dscn0001medium.jpg

jerrg22

Outstanding shooting. Nothing is stopping you from getting a Stock top end in 9mm someday not to mention a trigger job. One of the local steel challenge gun-slingers runs with a Stock and his trigger feels like a old time Colt Python on the first shot and Hammerli 208 there after. Think Canyon Creek did the work and it was quite impressive. But for now I am glad you have your answer.

Keep them in the 10ring.

10mmjunkie