Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well ...S&W Goes 'CHEAP' Again!

roostershooter

Just detail stripped my M&P Pro that was produced at the beginning of this month, and found another 'Cheap Route' fix that S&W has decided to do.

Instead of a solid metal disk on top of the FP Block spring there is a cheap, thin plastic disk with a retaining nipple on it!

I guess they thought it was a clever idea to put a nipple on the disk, but totally negated any headway they made with the revision with making it plastic.

I cracked mine while reinstalling the FP Block and had to call to get another one from S&W.

As soon as I think they've made a good revision they go and do something stupid like make it out of paper thin plastic!

Your thoughts?

Is it cheap plastic or high tech light weight self lubricating polymer? That was kinda sarcasm if you didn't catch it.

Yea, it really sucks to see quality go down on any product. I think most people would rather pay the extra $1.35 for the metal one than the plastic one... Personally I would rather see improvements and refinements, even if cost goes up.

I like the new one. A LOT less likely to go into orbit when removing the rear sight. I don't know for certain, but the spring and cap are probably the most requested M&P part as so many are losing it.

Another bonus with the new one is it will help keep people from getting the spring kinked which yeilds a non funtioning gun.

The cost to make the new one I am certain is more expensive than the old stamped metal one and to make one like the new one from metal would have been MUCH more expensive.

I like the new one. A LOT less likely to go into orbit when removing the rear sight. I don't know for certain, but the spring and cap are probably the most requested M&P part as so many are losing it.

Another bonus with the new one is it will help keep people from getting the spring kinked which yeilds a non funtioning gun.

The cost to make the new one I am certain is more expensive than the old stamped metal one and to make one like the new one from metal would have been MUCH more expensive.

Dan ...

I admit that it does fix the kinked spring issue,and stops you from fumbling around with the metal disc prior to putting your sights back on.

However, the cheap plastic they made it from leaves a lot to be desired. I literally nicked and cracked mine with a thumbnail, so it can't be that durable. I'd suggest anyone who messes with them frequently, like you do, keep a few spares on hand for a broken one.

Edited by roostershooter

roostershooter; right now I don't care what material they use for the disc but I like your avatar. :) Missing our GSD as he is a service dog in training and has a 'job interview' today with the state police. Hope he fails so we get him back for a while longer.

roostershooter; right now I don't care what material they use for the disc but I like your avatar. :) Missing our GSD as he is a service dog in training and has a 'job interview' today with the state police. Hope he fails so we get him back for a while longer.

I know what you mean. We have owned GSDs for a long time, and even bred them for awhile. It got to be too hard in letting the 'babies' go to other families, so we stopped doing it. Now we have 4 that hang out all over the house and property, and love them all. I couldn't imagine losing one to a profession.

Reprieve! Hunter failed but they did take one of his brothers. So we have him back home and he is back in the running for guide dog work. In the mean time we are looking for a permanent Shepard as I don't know if I can go through this again. Four has to be a handful!

Disclaimer: Sorry to hijack thread.