Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need feedback on 8 round 45ACP SS Mags.

SPDGG

^ The Wilson Combat 47D magazines will work, but the bodies are a tad bit short when you try to stuff 8 rounds into them.

If you compare your Wilson Combat Magazines from the back, The WC 47D mag to your WC ETM, you will notice the longer magazine tube of the ETM.

I understand the ETM is longer; what I'm saying is I've never had a problem loading a 47D with 8 rounds into a gun.

I have tried the WC 47D with the following Magazine Catches: Factory, Ed Brown Ext., 10-8 = All the same.

I'm not suggesting that the mag catch is holding it high per se; I was suggesting that the mag catch provision in the frame may be higher than in other brands.

I have a couple of 47Ds I used in my Springfield and a S&W. I didn't have any problem seating with 8 rounds loaded; didn't even notice a difference in seating effort when I switched to ETMs. I only quit using them when I bought a pile of ETMs. I

It's not the mags.

You live in SoCal, so get out to NorCo and meet up with some great shooters. Describe the situation face to face and see what some veteran shooters have to say.

Al

For me the 47D's and the ETM's are night and day in ease of seating. I ran the 47D's with extended base pads until I tried some ETM's. Never going back. I've never tried the Cobra's, can't help there. This is in a old Colt Govt. MkIV 80 series.

Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts but have you tried ETM's? If not I shoot some of the matches in Piru, let me know if you're ever up that way I'll loan you a few to try.

Kevin

Crux of the matter: All 1911s are not created equal. Some guns are picky about mags. Some guns are picky about mag wells.

FWIW, I have one gun that absolutely refuses to go to slide lock with a Wilson 47D. Runs fine with every other mag (Tripp, ETM, CMC). The 47Ds run fine in my other guns. You just need to see what works in your primary gun and load up on those mags.

BB

I had a problem with my wife's magazines not seating in her 9mm 1911, built on the Caspian Race Ready frame. The problem was the tab on the front of the magazines was hitting the magwell and preventing them from seating. I spoke to the guys at Caspian about it at SHOT, and they acknowledged the issue. Not sure they intend to do anything about it, tho.

Have you checked the clearance of your magazines at the base?

Frag316 brings up a good point that is sometimes overlooked. I use WC extended basepads on Ace mags for my rimfire conversion and I had to trim the tab on the front of the pad to even get the mags to lock in.

My S&W 1911 came with ACT mags, and they needed slamming to get them to seat with 8 on a closed slide. I switched over to the Checkmate extended tube 8 rounders and I can latch a full 8 round mag slide closed with about the same effort I seat them with slide open. They definitely enabled me to pick up some major speed in SS because I don't have to bring the gun in so close to my body to deliver a big slam anymore. Now, I can keep my gun much higher on a reload and still get a fresh mag seated reliably.

I had some first round off an eight round mag issue with a Kimber. The gun previously ran like a champ with cmc, 47d, etm, and kim pro mags. Long story short, some mags had feed lips bent or way out of spec. And my ammo was too long.

For a long time I just loaded to what the manual said and didn't have a problem. Then I read on the internet that you should load as long as your barrel will allow for top accuracy. I started doing that and that is when the problems started. The first round would nose dive and hang up on the ramp. I fought it for months trying all sorts of different things. Then I ended up making some ammo that was .020 shorter than the longest ammo that would fit in the gun. All the feeding issues went away.

The 47d was harder to seat than the cmc at first. But I have a habit of leaving my mags loaded to a lot. After a while they all pretty much seat with the same force.

Edited by leas327