Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another crimp question

mrdon

I'm loading 45 Acp, precision 230 grain FMJ. I just spent several hours assembling and setting up the dies on my new 650. I adjusted the crimp per instruction book and tried to use what I have read here and elsewhere to get it correct.At first I was trying to set it at.471 using calipers and a visual inspection. I ran a few dummy rounds and then hand cycled them through my 2 pistols and noticed the bullets had pushed back into the cases.I called dillon and the guy said that was a pretty impossible way to do it and suggested setting the die on an empty case and then lowering 1/4 turn. I did this and then tried to push the bullet into the case and it seems to be tight but visually not over crimped.How do you experienced reloaders know when it is "just right"? By the way I'm loading 4.9 grains Bullseye at 1.260 OAL.

Edited by mrdon

Too much crimp can cause setback. The edge of the brass pushes the case away from the bullet. Set your crimp as Dillon suggested. When you get to the "I can't tell if there is flare left" you are done. Set the round on the bench and press with your thumb. The bullet should stand about 30 lbs of you pushing without moving. Also 1.26 maybe too long for your gun and is hitting the grooves in the barrel. Case check them using the barrel from your gun.