Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 Glock 34 FTE

leemoe83

I have a gen 3 glock 34, it ran strong for close to 30,000 rounds, only issue up to that point was I wouldn't feed some bullet profiles that had long OAL. Probably shot at least 10,000 reloads through it. Eventually it start choking about every three hundred rounds I would get a failure to eject. It always extracts but would end up with the spent case jammed horizontally along the axis of the bore between the breech face and the barrel hood, the next round would be in the process of chambering, it never does the traditional stove pipe. What I have done so far;

1) I case gauge all ammo, shooting reloads off of a 650, everyting on the press has been cleaned multiple times, if the round does not slide in and out of the case gauge it gets pitched. I am running mixed range brass.

2) Bumped up PF, running 3.9-4.0 grains of Titegroup under a 124 grain MG HP, last two major matches I have been to the PF's where 137 & 136.

3) 13 lb. recoil spring

4) On 3rd trigger housing with ejector, all had 336 ejector.

5) New extractor

6) New extractor spring and plunger assembly

7) Had FTE with brand new mags, mags do not seem to be the problem.

8) New barrel, old barrel was not worn out, they both hit same velocity with same load.

9) New magazine catch and spring, thought maybe the mag was not sitting high for the mag spring to help eject case.

10) Gun can be clean or dirty, doesn't matter.

I have a gen 4 trigger housing with the new 30*** something ejector on order (backorder untill 6/29), I am going to try and swap ejectors on a Gen 3 housing. I have not tried running all new one head stamp brass, I really don't want to because I am cheap. If the new ejector doesn't work I am out of ideas, anyone have some suggestions?

There are all kinds of fixes about Glocks failure to extract and errattic ejection problems, some work and some don't. What cures a problem for one person does not work for another, and Glock themselves can't seem to fix it. A couple of things you might try is a HRED extractor plunger from White Sound Defense. Some people have had success with a Lone Wolf extractor. Randy over at Apex is working on their own brand of extractors which should be out soon. He is even going to offer a slide service which will lower the port and permit the empty case more room to get out of the chamber. But this modification would probably void the warranty. Of course you can also send the gun back to Glock and hope that they can fix. Hope this info helps. This extraction thing has really put a damper on Glock "perfection".

There are all kinds of fixes about Glocks failure to extract and errattic ejection problems, some work and some don't. What cures a problem for one person does not work for another, and Glock themselves can't seem to fix it. A couple of things you might try is a HRED extractor plunger from White Sound Defense. Some people have had success with a Lone Wolf extractor. Randy over at Apex is working on their own brand of extractors which should be out soon. He is even going to offer a slide service which will lower the port and permit the empty case more room to get out of the chamber. But this modification would probably void the warranty. Of course you can also send the gun back to Glock and hope that they can fix. Hope this info helps. This extraction thing has really put a damper on Glock "perfection".

He has a Ejection issue not Extraction. If it is making it out of the chamber then it's ejection. Of course the extractor is holding the case just before it is hitting the ejector.

1) Check crimp. Be sure you have no outward flare at all remaining. I know you case gauge but that is not the same thing.

2) Glocktalk has a thread about erratic ejection as a sticky. I would read it.

3) Replace all the parts on the gun in the slide and frame. 30K is enough that they could be worn. Including the trigger setup, the FP Safety and spring. ALL those parts.

The entire trigger housing was replaced, so yes the ejector has been replaced. I will look into the Zev extended ejector, I think I might look at ordering all the different extractors I can find at this point. I didn't list all the parts that have been replaced, but the ejection issue happened with three different recoil springs, everything on this gun has been replaced at one point or another except slide and frame.

Have you let anyone else shoot your gun and do they have the same issues with it you have?

The FTE is so few and far between that it would not be practical to have somebody shoot it for a 1000 rounds to find out it didn't do it. I do not slow the slide down with my thumbs or weak wrist it. Nothing touches the slide with my grip, I keep my thumbs off of the gun. The FTE's are few and far between but when I had a malf at Area 5 that turned a big field course into a 30% stage and cost me a top 10 finish it becomes a problem.

Something I just thought of, I think the occasional FTE started around when I switched to MG 124 HP bullets, is it possible the bullet profile is causing ejection issues with the next round in the mag doing something goofy with extracted case? I don't remember ever having ejection issues when running Zero bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the new Gen 4 ejector, and replaced the extractor, spring, plunger, and bearing with lone wolf parts. Shot about 100 rounds through it last night, incredible difference, not a single round hit my arm, shoulder, or head, 95% of all brass landed in a 1.5 ft. circle 3 ft to the right and about one ft. back. 2 things I noticed before shooting. The lone wolf extractor spring was longer than the glock OEM, extractor tension was MUCH higher. New ejector has a larger contact point, it also contacts the case further from the case center. It looks as if you take a 336 ejector, twist it, and cut off about 1/16". Will run a lot more ammo through the gun in the coming week, will post update.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ran about another 300 rounds thru the gun, no issues, the only time I have had a case hit me is shooting strong hand only, and that is because I slightly cant the gun to the left, 1 round hit my forearm, I think it's fixed.

I've ran about another 300 rounds thru the gun, no issues, the only time I have had a case hit me is shooting strong hand only, and that is because I slightly cant the gun to the left, 1 round hit my forearm, I think it's fixed.

Please update as more rounds go through.

I installed the new Gen 4 ejector, and replaced the extractor, spring, plunger, and bearing with lone wolf parts. Shot about 100 rounds through it last night, incredible difference, not a single round hit my arm, shoulder, or head, 95% of all brass landed in a 1.5 ft. circle 3 ft to the right and about one ft. back. 2 things I noticed before shooting. The lone wolf extractor spring was longer than the glock OEM, extractor tension was MUCH higher. New ejector has a larger contact point, it also contacts the case further from the case center. It looks as if you take a 336 ejector, twist it, and cut off about 1/16". Will run a lot more ammo through the gun in the coming week, will post update.

Could you post pics of the different ejectors? Mainly the Gen 4. Haven't run across a Gen 4 9mm for comparison yet.