Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new barrel, new slide?

ErikW

These quotes were from an Open gun topic...

If you are going to replace the barrel on a used gun you might as well replace the slide. You'll have a new slide to fit to the new barrel to the frame.
I agree that fitting a new barrel to an old slide is sort of a waste though.

Does that apply only to or primarily to Open guns? I understand the need for a tighter slide to frame fit due to frame-mounted optics.

But what about Limited/Standard/stock guns?

That hasn't been my understanding and based on conversations with Benny a while ago is *astoundingly* more expensive than just fitting a new barrel, but what the hell do I know...

According to my Kuhnhausen Shot Manual:

Mechanical Accuracy

20% - Consistent Vertical Lock-up

20% - Eliminate Rear Barrel Side Play

20% - Fit Accuracy Bushing

15% - Remove Frame/Slide Play

10% - Match Grade Barrel

10% - Headspace

5% - Beyond Reach

Sounds like a properly fit barrel would take care of most of our needs.

Depends why you're replacing the barrel. No rifling left, it might be wise to consider the slide worn as well. Decided .43 Cor-Bon wasn't for you after 5 shots, no problem.

Traditionally fitting a slide involves first fitting the slide to the frame by mostly cutting on the frame, then fitting the barrel to the slide by mostly cutting on the barrel (ramped barrels have their own special issues). But, if any of those parts are already too cut-upon to fit the new parts to, your non-all-new-parts options get limited and expensive.

Typically most of the slide-to-frame-fit cutting is on the frame-- I don't know if the top IPSC gunsmiths do it this way, but the single-stackers do.

Think about fitting the rails-- if they're oversized on the frame, you can either attempt to enlarge the inside of the slide rail slots or size down the frame rails. The latter is much easier. Anybody with a block and some sandpaper can do it.

Talking about barrels...

I am getting a new Limited gun from Limcat with the tungsten sleeved barrel, already tried one and like it, so no issues there, the question is the following:

I have read so much different opinions about the weight of the pistol and how it can affect handling and performance that I thought about giving the lighter version a try, so I am thinking of getting the gun with the regular bull tungsten sleeved barrel (which I have liked so far, but havent tried others) + getting a second regular bushing barrel fitted to the gun, this way I get to play around with the weights and experiment on my own to decide which is better for me going forward.

Has anybody done this on their guns?, do you think its only a waste of money to get the second barrel?, will I actually feel a difference amongst the 2 in order to make the additional investment worth it?

thanks

I think a problem there is that bull barrels use reverse plugs for the guide rods, and that means milling the slide at the back of the spring tunnel, a "somewhat" permanent alteration. A standard bushing on the other end will still work, but, depending on the gun, there may be a couple issues, one aesthetic, one functional.

I actually do run both a bull and standard barrel in one of my Paras. Basically I kept the bbl, bushing and link from the original set up after the switch to the bull set up. There is, though, a mighty ugly looking gap visible where the end of the (regular length) dustcover is supposed to overlap the end of the spring tunnel. Then there is the fact that shock buffs in this set up die an early and horrible death. Got to watch for pieces of buff in the gun, unless you "sandwich" an extra buff with the same profile as the cut out between the regular buff and the cut down spring tunnel. Even then bits can end up inside. I mainly use this set up with minor practice loads - I don't use it for matches unless shooting ESP in IDPA.

FWIW, I feel a big difference in handling characteristics (gun point, recoil impulse and recovery, etc.) between the standard set up, which also uses an aluminum guide rod, vs. the Schuemann bull bbl w/ a tungsten GR. Johnny's set up would magnify the difference felt, though how this affects the shooter is very much an individual affair.

My slide is cut for a reverse plug but I use a standard plug. It doesn't seem to wear on my buff at all. (Come to think of it, aren't all STI slides cut for the rev. plug at the factory?)

I don't think it's a waste to get both barrels. I'm thinking of going to a bull barrel when I have some money to burn, and it would've been terribly convenient to just get both of them to begin with. Even if you don't like the light barrel for IPSC, it might be just the thing for steel.

My slide is cut for a reverse plug but I use a standard plug. It doesn't seem to wear on my buff at all. (Come to think of it, aren't all STI slides cut for the rev. plug at the factory?)

Maybe it's just my particular combo of a Para frame with a Caspian top end :ph34r:

EGW sells a reverse plug for bushing barrels...

i am thinking about getting a 6 inch gun both ways,,

what i need is a 5 inch bushing 9mm for steel and a 6 inch bull 40 for IPSC.

6 inch gun with long DC and bull barrel and tungsten rod might be pretty hefty..it just sounds soft shooting though

...didnt robbie L use a 50oz + limited pistol??

i dont think short and light is the way to go in limited...unless they drop major power down to 125