Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these mag pouches ok for IDPA?

NicVerAZ

Would like to start my first match but was wondering if this type of pouches would be legal.

They are the double pouches made by Black Hawk, open top:

18-1366-img2-l.jpg

The rules says the pouches have to keep the magazines inside when put upside down.

They do, adjusted the way they are, but only until you shake the belt.

Sorry, I know, newbie questions.

Otherwise what type of 9mm pouches do you recommend? This is for my GP6, comparable in size to the 92 and CZ mags.

I will probably try SSR, with 4 magazines on the belt, 1 in the pocket.

THanks

SSR will work MUCH better with speedloaders :lol:

From what I see on the front, the pouches look good to go. So long as they hold upside down (shaking isn't a requirement) they'll be fine.

Have fun at your first match!

ETA: You can only have two mags on your belt

Edited by sbcman

SSR will work MUCH better with speedloaders :lol:

From what I see on the front, the pouches look good to go. So long as they hold upside down (shaking isn't a requirement) they'll be fine.

Have fun at your first match!

ETA: You can only have two mags on your belt

Yeah, yeah, I know, I meant SSP.

So that means 10 in the pocket, 10 + 10 on the belt and a Barney?

Still reading the rule book. This seems to be even more complicated than the rules of rugby football.

Yep- I think that's right. Load your Barney round, then a ten rounder. This gives you division capacity in esp and ssp. Then you can have two mags on the belt with 10 rounds each. No IDPA course will be over 18 rounds, so you'll have plenty with this set-up.

On the other hand, if your mags have the room, you can just load 11 in one to start and forget the Barney mag. Then keep two filled wit ten each on the belt and you're good to go.

The rules can get a little thick as you read them in the book. Then you have to deal with the rules interpretations of your SO. But, once you get in the groove of playing the game, they'll come together for you and won't seem as bad. Just know when you start, you'll make some mistakes, and that's alright- we all did. Good SOs will guide you through what happened and you just keep on learning from there.

ENJOY!

Edited by sbcman

• 10 months later...

my IDPA experience, they never shake your belt. The holds mags upside down rule is more a rule to keep people honest, no one has ever checked mine at a local match. those should be legit, I ran a similar bladetech model back in the day.