Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel or paper

a matt

I get tired of setting up paper. It requires the base, sticks, cardboard, paper, and a staple gun. So I picked up 2 Action Target Evil Roy stands. The setup in 10 seconds with no problem. After that, all I need is spray paint if desired.

• 3 weeks later...

Steel is definitely easier (no taping) BUT -

I get sloppy - instead of staying with the fundamentals and seeing my sights lift off the target, I start listening for the ring.

I can't tell you the number of times that burned me at matches on edge or low hits on poppers that didn't go down, especially activators.

Edited by kevin c

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot steel for practice. If I'm getting sloppy and point shooting I move farther back or use smaller targets. I prefer a plate rack with the 8" plates. When I practice I shoot mainly between 10 to 15 yards. If I'm doing all of my types of practice at these distances and being accurate, when I get to a match I find it really helps me. Its the aim small miss small theory.

How about this idea?. Get a silhouette target and then tape a USPSA target to it. Best of both worlds. You hear that you hit it and then you can go down range at your leisure and see how your groups look. I think that is a perfect solution.

I just started using both. Until now it was just paper, but I just bought my first full size steel USPSA silhouette.

Cut the A zone out of a cardboard target place over steel Paint A zone with tan paint, the rest is white outline. Only hits in the A count.

• 3 weeks later...

For me steel is better for the ego and paper for making progress. I feel steel is good for working on transitions and draw, but since I started reading Brian's book and shooting groups my confidence has increased greatly. I shot an all steel USPSA style match on Saturday and had a blast (didn't do too bad either), but shooting paper is where I developed the fundamentals to hit the most challenging shots on steel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep meaning to write an article about "The potential perils of pass/fail practice."

Basically, when practicing on steel, your shots are either pass or fail.

This is not strict enough for USPSA shooting.

Shooting on steel can help when you are learning to call your shots, but you gotta shoot some paper too.

If you only have access to steel, make the shots difficult.

SA

Amen. I shot a lot of steel before I shot my first USPSA match. I quickly found out that I had developed a nasty "Alpha/Charlie" habit due to poor trigger control. Both shots would be vertically centered but the second shot would pull left. Shooting steel exclusively didn't reveal this pattern for me. I do mix steel in with practice to remind me that a 6" plate at 20 yards requires me to confirm the sight picture if I want to hit it on the first shot. I also practice steel gimmicks like plate racks, stars and rotating plate racks to develop the proper cadence.

Edited by DanWalker

How about this idea?. Get a silhouette target and then tape a USPSA target to it. Best of both worlds. You hear that you hit it and then you can go down range at your leisure and see how your groups look. I think that is a perfect solution.

I think this would be a bad idea from a training perspective. I'm still learning to call my shots so if you train to listen for your shot instead of calling it you are robbing yourself of learning a very precious skill in this game. I double plug when I shoot steel just so I can't hear my shots. Just think of how your mind will react in a match when you shoot paper and never get a "ping" after each shot.

I agree that shooting steel makes you sloppy and I think its easier to see patterns on paper. By patterns I mean you can't tell where your second shot is going. You also tend to listen for the hits on steel insted of actually seeing your hits like you are forced to do on paper.