Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just getting Started

Hey guys well I just went and watched my 1st USPSA match yesterday and loved it...I plan on shooting production I just picked up a Springfield XDM 5.25, How many Magazines should I have on me for a shoot and is Grip tape legal on the gun for production class?

thanks in advance

Welcome to a great sport. You will not find a friendlier bunch of people.

I just started myself, and decided to do the open class so I can't answer your question about grip tape in production. I am sure however the answer will be here soon from someone more knowledgeable.

Jim

• For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip

sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may

only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4.

Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

• Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they

do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a

make-shift magwell.

5 will do. You could get away with 3 if you shoot Limited (minor) which I would (strongly) suggest at first. It is nice to not have to worry about so many mag changes, slide lock reloads and stage planning, just shoot!

As far as grip tape, read the rules at uspsa.org. It will tell and show you everything you need to know about grip tape and everything else you need to know before you step to the line.

Have fun!

Edited by old506

I like Pachmyer or Houge grip sleeves. Don't get ginger grooves though, not legal for straight front strapped guns. I take 6 mags, used the 6th a couple of times on long stages or drops.

thanks for all the quick replys. I got one more question, Like I said in my opening question I just got the Springfield xdm 9mm in 5.25 and it came with a double mag pouch and a holster, I would like to start out with good eqiupment so I dont have to buy things twice,So I was looking at the DAA belt, mag and holster combo so I would have something for a long time but is the racer style holsters legal in production? the ones had only cover the tigger gaurds or do I need a full holster? if this wont work then what would be a good setup? like I said before dont mind spending a little extra if I only got to buy something once... thank in advance

I will be shooting USPSA production class

Edited by CalvinCarpenter

I don't know which holster you are referrIng to so I can't say for sure. Holster requirements are in the rule book too. The appendixes are loaded with all the stuff you need to know. Go to USPSA.org and read read read. It's a small book really, you get one when you join. Honestly, the 40$ for membership is well worth it. From memory holster must cover no more than a half inch from breech and cover the trigger in Production Division. The only "race" holster I know of that is legal is the DAA PDR. It's only race because of the name though. Design is very similar to many others available. Bladetech, safariland,etc. etc. Just pick a good kydex holster and you should be good to go.

For mags I roll one in the gun five on the belt. Seems to be plenty. Have fun shooting!

ETA: go to the vendor area here and visit some sites. Each vendor has a link to their site on their forum page. I have used ShootersConnection. Great place.

Edited by DoubleL

Any normal kydex hoster that you pick up at a sporting store like uncle mikes or blackhawk will do for production but the best holster is the bladetech doh. It cost alittle more but is worth it. The draw and everything else feel much more natural since it doesnt ride so high on your waist. I think they have one for the XDm 5.25 but not sure.

I forgot to say that that while the bladetech doh is production legal, I see alot of limited guys using it also. Might not be the best limited division holster but it will get you by just fine if you decide to move up a division until to get around to upgrading to a "race holster"