Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CB45 Range Diary

CB45

Practice last night was interesting. Worked on mostly shooting drills. I wanted to really focus on being visually aware of sights alignment on every shot.

It's getting a lot easier to shoot iron sights, but I still feel slow shooting difficult targets.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I had a lot of fun at the Ryan Rocks Charity Blast today. Nice mix of stage types and designs. Friendly match staff and fun squad.

Finished 2nd in Production. It was good to see my practice is paying off.

• 2 weeks later...

My local gunsmith did the major machining and fitting. I did most of the blending and removal of tooling marks. Basically he did a short block for me and I did most of the small parts.

The barrel is KKM w/ Cheely Ti comp. That combo works well in my experience.

One thing is for sure... this gun is flatter than my Trubor. The only difference is the barrel/comp. I'm excited.

I really just wanted a no frills gun. All this talk about "who's gun" do you shoot irritates me. I want to be known for my shooting, not what gun I shoot. When someone is willing to give me something to advertise for them, maybe I'll get something flashy. Until then, I'll going to focus on the shooting.

Well I'm still working through the bugs with the new gun. Getting the ejector angle and extractor tension set is tedious tuning...

I replaced my mag springs today. Wow, I'm totally surprised how bad they were. Even my match mags were really weak. Guess I'll be replacing them more frequently.

Practice is going ok. I'm hitting new par times and having a lot of fun. I'm getting ready for the Michigan Section.

I shot my new Open gun this last sunday at a local USPSA match. It worked great! I'm really excited about it.

Bad news is that my Trubor is having issues again. I think the Aftec Extractor is starting to fail. I replaced the Aftec springs, maybe that will resolve the issue. I am also going to tune the ejector angle to see if that helps make ejection patterns more predictable. It has always had an erratic ejection pattern.

This weekend I'm going to the Michigan Section match. I am looking forward to a fun match!

Practice tonight was good. One of the better range sessions I've had in a while. The new gun seems to be running well. It helps to have a practice session were I am focused solely on shooting, not tearing the gun apart after every run tuning on stuff.

I felt like I was doing everything at the speed I need to be going again. For the last two weeks I've felt like everything was sluggish and sloppy. Footwork was aggressive. Transitions were crisp and centered on target. The gun is tracking well again. Awesome!

I am tuned up and ready to rock!

Results are in from the Michigan Section match. I finished 1st Master in Open, 2nd overall behind Andrew H. Congrats to Andrew for a solid match performance, his win is well deserved!!!

I'm happy with my performance, but still see room for improvement. My SHO/WHO shooting and classifier type skills needs attention. I'll get to work on that shortly.

Best news of the day for me is that my new open blaster, which I'm naming Two Blue, ran great. My ammo ran across the chronicle at 176PF, but it feels good in the gun. I'll tone down the load and see what happens.

Good day for CB45!

Edited by CB45

My SHO/WHO shooting and classifier type skills needs attention. I'll get to work on that shortly.

I spent my dry fire practice yesterday just working on strong and weak hand only shooting. I got a Mike on that weak hand only Virginia Count stage and it really annoyed me.

Congratulations on your finish. Looks like you had a nice, consistent match while shooting a ton of points.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It means alot to hear encouraging words from everyone!

Well last minute schedule change, I'm going to make it to Area 4. I'm excited to shoot another Level III match this year. The next 7 weeks is going to be a crazy time for me; Area 4, Indiana SCSA (tenative), Indiana USPSA Section, and 2014 USPSA Handgun Nationals. I figure I need to get around 2,500 rounds of match ammo loaded.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It means alot to hear encouraging words from everyone!

Well last minute schedule change, I'm going to make it to Area 4. I'm excited to shoot another Level III match this year. The next 7 weeks is going to be a crazy time for me; Area 4, Indiana SCSA (tenative), Indiana USPSA Section, and 2014 USPSA Handgun Nationals. I figure I need to get around 2,500 rounds of match ammo loaded.

3 hours max, I mean you do have a 1050 don't you ;)

Shot a local today in Ft. Wayne, IN. Great match!

I'm disappointed in my SHO/WHO shooting. The classifier today was El Strong and Weak Pres. I've yet to shoot that classifier well, and today was particularly bad.

It cost me the match win, but I'm more disappointed that I've waited this long to work on it. Up until now, I've focused almost entirely on field course skills. Turns out classifier skills are needed too. Who knew?

I will set up that classifier as a drill this week. I don't know if I get a 100% run on it in practice, but I will learn how to shoot it clean.

Great success! I've concurred El Strong and Weak Pres. I surprised myself by getting a 100% run on my 3rd attempt today in practice. Now I just need to do it in a match...

Other news, my Trubor slide cracked. I submitted the STI warranty form, so I hope to hear from them soon. Bummer.

Well I shot my local USPSA match at ACC. It was a lot of fun, but I wasn't feeling all that well. Allergies suck.

This week's practice will be shooting target arrays with partials. I'm going to shoot them static and moving. Just tune up on shooting stuff.

So it looks like my match schedule has changed a bit.

Aug. 30 - Area 4 USPSA

Sept. 6 - Indiana State Steel Challange Championship

Sept. 11-14 - Indiana USPSA Sectionaal

Sept. 23-28 - USPSA Handgun Nationals

Oct. 11 Illinois USPSA Section

The next 6 weeks is going to be fun!

Plans have changed again. Life happens and I've got to roll with it. I'm not going to Tennessee instead of Nationals. Next year I'll make it to Nationals hopefully.

Also, it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to the Indiana Steel Challenge match. Too much to do, too little time.

Area 4 was a washout for me. I experienced trigger issues for the first three stages. I was able to kinda fix the trigger and finish the match. Disappointing.

Hopefully I'll get my gun back in working condition before Indiana.

Couple turns to the over-travel screw and an adjustment to the pre-travel tab on the trigger bow and I'm back in business.

I ran the gun hard in practice tonight. It seems to be running well.

Last night's and tonight's practice were heavily focused on difficult setups leaning around vision barriers. Good stuff to work on, but frustrating. The next few practices will be focused on the fundamentals. I need to get back to the fundamentals.

I passed on shooting a local match and practiced instead. I made up a new drill with 17yard partials mixed with difficult footwork / positioning. Switching gears from shooting tough targets to aggressive footwork is weird. I'll shoot this drill again.

Next I worked on shooting an array of open target and partials at close range. Really focusing on speed. I was disappointed in my performance on this drill. I need to do more of close range stuff.

I finished the day with some a draw to weak hand stuff. Shooting weak hand is tough.

I'm really happy with the way my gun is shooting. Re-reaming the comp over the weekend really helped the accuracy of this gun. I'm super pumped.

Practice today was fun. I worked on some more fundamentals type skills again. It is fun just relax and shoot. I find that sometimes it's beneficial to stop looking at the timer and just shoot. Today was one of those days.

I'm ready for the Indiana Section.

Link to today's group shooting. 20 yards freestyle. Group shooting September 2014

Edited by CB45