Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CB45 Range Diary

CB45

freakin outstanding job! looks like a tough, fun match.

that upside-down rope pull deal looked like it took a while to get set up... would switching to WH maybe have been beneficial there?

-rvb

Maybe, I jacked up the execution of that stage hard. I was first shooter, on first stage of the match. I was just happy to hit everything.

I watched some people do the WHO transfer, looked slow. I just messed up the execution. I should have grapped the rope and shot the two targets SHO, but I forgot to grap the rope as I went to the left. Ah well. big lesson learned.

Stages were really nice. Big stages with a lot of shooting positions. I liked it!

messed up the execution of a great plan? I've NEVER done that!! Esp first stage of the match. haha. seriously, great job. I was looking forward to your video.

-rvb

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm not an expert at this USPSA game, but I've been around a couple years and have noticed a few things.

1. It will take time to learn the skills to shoot well.

2. Baller skills don't mean a thing if you can't execute on match day.

3. You will never shoot better on match day than you did at your best practice.

4. There are alot of poeple who want to do well, but very few who are willing to do the work to do so.

There isn't a recipe for finishing well at a USPSA match. Learn how to shoot a match, not just the gun. I think it was a Stoeger podcast where he mentioned the term "Student of the sport". That phrase has been in my mind alot latetly.

This is something that very few people talk about. Most people spend thier resources chasing gun, ammo, and gear. Why is this?

How do you teach people the game, not just the skills?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not an expert at this USPSA game, but I've been around a couple years and have noticed a few things.

1. It will take time to learn the skills to shoot well.

2. Baller skills don't mean a thing if you can't execute on match day.

3. You will never shoot better on match day than you did at your best practice.

4. There are alot of poeple who want to do well, but very few who are willing to do the work to do so.

There isn't a recipe for finishing well at a USPSA match. Learn how to shoot a match, not just the gun. I think it was a Stoeger podcast where he mentioned the term "Student of the sport". That phrase has been in my mind alot latetly.

This is something that very few people talk about. Most people spend thier resources chasing gun, ammo, and gear. Why is this?

How do you teach people the game, not just the skills?

I am wondering that as well. I am not a person that has trouble with pressure. I don't get nervous at matches. But I would like to know why more people don't talk about how they got better. Besides, " I just practiced more ". The mental part of learning the skills is pretty huge, and I think the people that have been in it for a while forget what it is like to "start over" and become a beginner again. You have to be humble and willing to change consistently. And as always, be willing to admit shortcomings. This is only my 2nd season coming up, and I only competed about half of the year last year. So I am basically brand new for all intents and purposes, and I have to examine every aspect of the game. I am thinking that I will have to get more formal training to reach my goal for this year ( Making A class from C class ) Most of that I think will be breaking down my technique so that don't develop bad habits. I enjoy the training so that won't be an issue for me, but i am afraid that I will do all this practicing and burn in the wrong things!

Cheers and good luck to you.

2015 WIIT is over. Narrowly squeezed out the competition for a win! It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

Sporky,

I look forward to seeing your progress this year. Formal training would probably help, but it's not necessary to meet your goals. Just bug RVB, he probably has forgotten more than I have learned about competitive shooting.

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since I've updated. I am preparing to go to the 2015 Area 6 match this weekend. I'm really looking forward to my first Area match this year!

I've finally been able to start practicing like I want to. Winter hung around along time this year! Anyway, practice has been good. Setting up drills that really isolate my weaknesses so that they become strengths! Par times on 20 yard plate racks are what my 10 yard plate rack times used to be two years ago. Thats pretty cool.

I recently switched holsters and mag pouches, which seems to be doing well. Draw and reload par times are the same, but I am not as consistent yet. Time will fix that.

Some good news, I recently attended a classifier match in which I shot pretty well. That GM card might be coming along quicker than I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris!

About 3 years ago I started shooting USPSA. After the first year I decided to learn how to do this sport. A year later I earned a M card, and now a GM card. Three years and 70k rounds later, it's been alot of fun. I'm really excited for my 4th shooting season and my first USPSA nationals!

I'm really excited for my 4th shooting season and my first USPSA nationals!

Im excited to see what you'll accomplish this year, too! You're off to a great start w/ your matches and your new G card!

Your hard work is paying off.

Congrats!

-rvb

ps. 100% on 5 out of 6 stages at that classifier match?!? holy smokes! :)

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Yep, at Atlanta's first match this year I joked with Chad about being lackadaisical when he shot the classifier. With no practice and a fumbled reload I barely managed a 75%. Chad looked slow and methodical yet beat my time by .3 seconds (or more) and got more points I think.

He is now at that special place were he is making it look easy, IMHO.

But, I know that GM card is a testament to his continuous hard work and dedication.

Chad just out works everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I just reviewed my thread and realized I have left out some things....

So I've proposed to my girlfriend, turned 30, and got a new gun.

This is my first 38Supercomp open gun. It shoots really nice. It's hard to describe the difference between 9major and 38SC. 9major is ok, but I find it harder to shoot.

Glenn at Lonestar Innovations did a fantastic job with the short block. A couple friends of mine helped me fit small parts and get a finish on the gun.

I've had alot going on! Exciting times!

Practice has been great. We've acquired some mini poppers to practice steel arrays. It has really helped!

Edited by CB45

I'm glad the new gun is working out for you. I thought you'd like the super over the 9! :cheers: There's more to life than saving a few pennies on brass, especially at the level you are shooting at!

-rvb

Thanks Ryan!

Over the weekend I shot the 2015 Ohio Buckeye Blast. Finished 3rd @ 97%. Made a few too many mistakes to earn a win. Shot 94% of available points, just took me a little too long to do it. I need to gain about 1sec per stage.

I will be refining my practice routine to fix some speed issues.

This is my second L2 match with the Lone Star Innovations 38SC gun, and it has ran flawlessly.

• 10 months later...

Wow, been a while. To summarize the last year. I fell into a little bit of a slump over the summer and into the fall of 2015. I went to my first Open Nationals in October. Awesome experience! I didn't shoot that well, but learned a lot. I took about 4 months off from shooting and training.

This past winter and spring I have been really working on physical conditioning. I've lost weight and built up some muscles, which feels great.

Recently, I've had some big changes in my personal life. I've been working through those issues and now have a burning desire to relearn how to compete in USPSA.

The weather has turned real nice over the past week, and I've been hitting the range hard. I am working out the rust and getting some skills back.

I'm motivated and ready to get back to work!