Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Woes

Tizzo

I currently have an issue that I don't know how to fix. I shoot a XD9 Tactical in production division, there are times when I make up shots, and due to that end up at slide lock. Problem is my slide doesn't lock back, there's something with my grip, what I think is happening is that my strong hand thumb rides the release. This causes me to not realize I'm dry so I waste a good two seconds dry firing before reloading. I know one solution is to simply count rounds, (an A class single stack shooter laughed when I made the counting rounds comment today at a match, don't know how to take that) but I was wondering if I should seriously start considering a different firearm. I'm not an XD die hard, it just happened to be the first gun I bought.

I do the same thing with my Glock 34. Its just where my thumb ends up, I like it when I don't screw up, it reminds me of riding the thumb safety on a 1911. Im no expert at this game, but a solid stage plan seems like the best remedy for me. I don't count rounds while shooting, but from planning my stage I know where im at ammo wise as a production shooter.

Don't count rounds, count the extras you shoot.

I'll just make a mental note every time I make up a shot on steel or an extra at paper. If I know that I was going to shoot say 18 rounds before a reload and my mag holds 21, then I know I have 3 extra rounds and I can do a normal reload, 4 and I'll have an empty chamber.

The big difference between SS and Production is the two extra rounds available at the start. Stages should be set up for a max of 8 rounds before you have to move to a different array. This means you have 2 misses before you have to worry about a reload. This also means that you can plan to shoot 8, move and reload as you prepare for the next 8.

There are times when it pays to take 5 targets before you reload, but usually stages break down to 6 to 8 shots before you reach a good spot to reload for the next array. It is normal when I am shooting Production for me to leave several mags behind with 1 to 4 rounds in them.

I mostly shoot Limited and even there I usually try to make a plan that has me taking no more than 16 shots before I reload, and no more than 16 shots required before the end of the stage. I know where I NEED to reload, and I keep track of any misses. Three misses and I will reload early.

You really only have two options: ditch the pistol, Or adjust your grip.

Actually, three options-- and this one is the best.

Don't worry about it.

I can't speak for your hands and the XD, but often the problem you report is the result of improper or too much grip. Barring that however (and you might be surprised to hear that I had your same issue and it went away over time and without focused effort), don't sweat it unless you're shooting IDPA.

Your money and time will be better spent on practice to make sure you don't shoot into slide lock in the first place. And in those SUPER rare instances where it may be a part of your stage plan, you will know about it in advance. Since said instances should almost always leave you plenty of time to chamber a fresh round, it won't be an issue.

I can't speak for your hands and the XD, but often the problem you report is the result of improper or too much grip. Barring that however (and you might be surprised to hear that I had your same issue and it went away over time and without focused effort), don't sweat it unless you're shooting IDPA.

I play IDPA from time to time and it's a killer, I don't have another gun to use for that game and I think I'm more invested in USPSA right now.

How is it possible to have too much grip? I've never heard that one before.

I play IDPA from time to time and it's a killer, I don't have another gun to use for that game and I think I'm more invested in USPSA right now.

How is it possible to have too much grip? I've never heard that one before.

When I was having the issue on my M&Ps and Glocks, I was literally locking down that strong hand thumb on the slide stop. That type of pressure from that particular digit was also causing me to toss shots every now and again, as it was inconsistent. I also noticed that as the slide began to lock back all of the time, the sights were tracking a bit better as well-- perhaps due in part to that thumb no longer altering the movement of the gun in recoil.

I was also prone to inducing malfunctions on certain .22's with that excessive grip, and can easily see the same thing happening with something like an Open gun with a lightened slide. In fact, that's a big part of the reason for shielded thumb safeties.

Now here's the kicker-- when I shoot my M&P 45, or the 9 Pro SHO, there's enough flip left in those guns to drive the slide stop into my thumb. I'm not locking it down, but the upward movement prevents it from locking back just the same.

• 1 month later...

While im new to shooting sports, ive been shooting XDs for almost 6 years now, and your problem is a common one (other platforms as well). Youre either riding it with your strong hand thumb, or your support hand grip is a shade too high and youre getting it with that.

Considering the number of pistols that have the slide stop in that position, its simpler (not necessarily easier) to make a slight adjustment in your grip, because its possible you could have the same result with other pistols as well.