Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breakthrough on my draw!

dab

Anyone shoot different divisions (I.e. different holster set ups), I'm wondering if changing between different holsters, guns and belt set ups would hinder draw performance or do the fundamentals take over when relying on the subconscious/muscle memory draw?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well have been doing some dry fire practice and need to do alot more however have started setting my pocket pro 2 par time at .70 with ipsc target at seven yards and are now getting the the 1911 out and aimed at the A zone consistently at .70. (this is not pressing the trigger and releasing the safety though) Happy with this however need to do more live fire work with this as my last one was at 1.27 into the A zone with a .45 hole right in the middle. I think I am waiting to see more than I actually need to when doing the live fire practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone shoot different divisions (I.e. different holster set ups), I'm wondering if changing between different holsters, guns and belt set ups would hinder draw performance or do the fundamentals take over when relying on the subconscious/muscle memory draw?

I have a blackhawk Serpa holster. At my last match the RO thought I disabled the lock because I was smooth and fast with it. I showed him the lock worked and I just practice. I was in a hotel the whole week before the match and did an hour a day but its amazing what 15-30 minutes can do.

• 2 weeks later...

I made this revelation a few months ago and picked up a good deal of time, now in recent weeks I've been working on my posture (less tactical turtle, more vertical stance like Ben) and that's got me from 1.05's down to .90's. As I was talking about this new improvement with a shooting buddy he says "hey you should focus on getting your weak hand over", apparently another guy we shoot with made the revelation also, had shared it with him, and he also thought it worked. Seems like this is pretty universal!

• 4 weeks later...

My fist thought on this post was "trick of the day." I've been focusing on my week hand for the last few weeks, cause I've been incontestably with my weak hand grip. I'd been peeked out at the same draw time (.9) for a year. Tonight after doing .9 I set it to .8 and let go of any concious thought (just trying to observe the present and let my sub conscious do it all. I went on to succeed at all attempts at .8 and 50% at .7. Feels good to finally see some improvement.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great tip, thanks!

Another tip i try to incorporate is to have each hand in the shape that will be needed to grab then gun... for example, your strong hand may have your index finger a little straighter, and thumb out. Whereas your support hand may have all 4 fingers together and straight with the thumb extended. This way both hands are ready to do their part when they get to the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to try this today.

I use 3 yards and a 6" circle as my metric. I've been in the 1.8s range, and I'm really hoping to be able to get down below 1.5s. Maybe I'll incorporate this tip into my training and see if it helps me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

it's interesting. I recently had an improvement with my production gun getting down to 0.85s for a 7 yard draw. what's important to me when practicing fast draws is not just do the draw but at least do a second shot on target or even shoot another target. it's a lot easier to just rip out one crazy shot with messed up grip etc and get that great draw time. so by adding extra shooting it ensures you're getting a 'real' draw time (stole this idea from nimitz).

What I teach new shooters to my club is to practice as follows.

draw is in 3 big steps (within each are smaller steps but for simplicity I break it into 3).

1, strong hand comes down onto the gun (we are not doing scoop draws at this stage, regardless of start position bring hand above the grip and come down onto it), weak hand pats your tummy

2. clap your hands

3. punch out

this is for dry practice with no gun. and repeat in front of a mirror to observe where your hands are.

slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out.... slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out.... slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out.... slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out.... slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out.... slap your tummy, clap your hands, punch it out....

feel silly but gets the gross motions ingrained.

Then do it with the gun. obviously at this point you're not clapping your hands, they are meeting at the gun.

you ideally want to pivot around your elbow as you get the gun up out of the holster so it comes up nice and high but it's not super critical to get it straight up to the face height. chest high is about right, as you punch out it'll lift that last little part. what you don't want is just bringing it up hip high then swinging it up. this gives slow draw and a wobbly effort to steady the sights.

anyway, got my draw and 2 shots down to 0.95s which I'm happy with as previously I was you're average 1 to 1.2 sec first shot.

my big breakthrough was realising how much faster I can move the gun between when it clears the holster to getting it punched out. sounds simple I know. just move it faster. but it was simply a fact that I'd settled into a comfortable pace when I first started and never re-evaluated how fast I could comfortably move the gun.

so just being more aggressive with that part of the movement got me about 0.30 of a second.

the reason I'm making this long post in this thread is I did notice one thing watching videos of my draw on stages (if you don't do this you should at least occasionally have someone record 3rd person view of your stages and then watch it, put it through shot coach etc).

I noticed my weak hand is a little lazy. it starts moving noticeably later than the strong hand, and then (since it has nothing in it) moves faster and catches up at the 'clap your hands' part of the draw.

I think as I've gotten more aggressive moving the gun my left hand has been stuck behind at the old draw speed and is now out of sync. so I need to go back to the mirror and do some more "slap your tummy, clap your hands....etc".

hopefully speeding up the weak hand might improve things further or at least get the current draw more consistent and nailed down.

My dry fire draw-and-index-target is about 0.4s faster than my live fire start-signal-to-first-shot in the A zone.

I can get a shot off almost as fast as the dry fire draw, but getting the first shot in the A zone is another thing. If that first shot is not in the A zone, I don't consider the time valid.

My dry fire draw-and-index-target is about 0.4s faster than my live fire start-signal-to-first-shot in the A zone.

I can get a shot off almost as fast as the dry fire draw, but getting the first shot in the A zone is another thing. If that first shot is not in the A zone, I don't consider the time valid.

Sounds about like me. I'm currently working on how to cut that difference down. Any ideas are definitely appreciated. . .

I'm with you GunBugbit. First shot must be an A zone hit on paper but on steel, anywhere counts and the draw can be much faster. I've got my rig set up on my wheel chair and have been real slow until being reminded on this thread how to draw faster. I don't know my times but I'm going to keep track at the next match to see how much I've improved.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure it will make a big difference for me.

Brian's book has some great exercises on pages 170-171 to help with this.

Brian's book has some great exercises on pages 170-171 to help with this.

I've been doing exercises described in Enos/Anderson/Stoeger resources for a while. My performance in matches can be directly correlated to how much dry fire I've been doing.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 3 weeks later...