Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breakthrough on my draw!

dab

The other day while I was dry firing, I had a breakthrough on my draw while I was doing some par time work. Normally at the sound of the buzzer, I focus on getting my strong hand to the gun and get my grip as fast as I could. For some reason, I decided to focus on getting my weak hand to my stomach as fast as possible at the buzzer. Next thing I know, I am on target WAY before par time. I continued to focus on my weak hand for my next few reps with the same result each time. I was able to drop my baseline draw par time from 1.7s to 1.1s! By focusing on the very simple task of getting my weak hand to my stomach, my subconcious was able to get the initial grip on the gun much faster and much more consistently.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome! And what you might not realize is that it might not be the weak hand thing at all that made the improvement. (It may be)

What really made the improvement was:

a. self analysis

b. changing something

Just for fun, get all that going at the very first sound of the timer. It's .9 time!

Well I'm an old ranger so I know that a Mind like a Parachute has to be open, or its no good.

So I tries it, well, glad I did it worked for me as well. Switching focus to the weak hand not only faster but smoother as well I didn't put the timer on it but I know it was faster and smoother. Go figure!

I'm shooting the RO match today, so I'll try it out under real conditions.

It makes sense to me when your conscious mind is focused on your strong hand you are in constant analysis of the motion, slowing it down. If you shift your conscious attention to your weak hand, your strong hand moves by your subconscious mind without being slowed down by thinking about every motion.

It makes sense to me when your conscious mind is focused on your strong hand you are in constant analysis of the motion, slowing it down. If you shift your conscious attention to your weak hand, your strong hand moves by your subconscious mind without being slowed down by thinking about every motion.

I noticed this same phenomanom with reloads ,much smoother with a step involved than just standing static.

Great! I was right at about 1.7 also and by really focusing on my target and getting the web of my hand exactly on the same spot consistantly, I was able to bring it down in the 1.1's in one afternoon. My fastest draw was .99 - first time under a second ever!

Interesting. Ill have to try this. I think its worth noting that this probably only works for someone who has practiced drawing enough to have it in muscle memory.

I bet this could apply to other things as well, like reloading on the move, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

I took a class with a GM awhile back, and he pointed out that I wasn't bring my weak hand over far enough to meet the gun on my draw. I guess I was worried about sweeping my hand with the gun. It put a piece of tape on my shirt directly below my right rib cage, so I could feel it with my weak hand thumb on the draw. I practiced that way for awhile, and now I do it without thinking. It got me down to 1.1 consistently.

I noticed this same phenomanom with reloads ,much smoother with a step involved than just standing static.

I noticed the exact same thing the other evening. It was very odd, but now makes sense. I will also try to speed up the weak hand and see what happens. :cheers:

The other day while I was dry firing, I had a breakthrough on my draw while I was doing some par time work. Normally at the sound of the buzzer, I focus on getting my strong hand to the gun and get my grip as fast as I could. For some reason, I decided to focus on getting my weak hand to my stomach as fast as possible at the buzzer. Next thing I know, I am on target WAY before par time. I continued to focus on my weak hand for my next few reps with the same result each time. I was able to drop my baseline draw par time from 1.7s to 1.1s! By focusing on the very simple task of getting my weak hand to my stomach, my subconcious was able to get the initial grip on the gun much faster and much more consistently.

I had a short practice session last week and remembered this thread. I tried the same thing and had similar results.

In dry fire, my draw has been around 1.7-1.6 seconds. 1.5 was really pushing it.

Usually, my live fire beep-to-first-shot time was around 1.71 to 1.86. (Yeah, I'm that slow.)

At the range, sort of at the last minute I thought "I should try that thing about concentrating on my support hand." First few tries, my draw to first shot went to the 1.25-1.39 range. Just by taking my focus off my grip. I think that when my conscious mind was trying to micro-manage the draw, it was slowing me down.

It's cool when I read something in Brian's book and think, "yeah, yeah, whatever." And then I try something and the lightbulb comes on and I understand what I had read and it's like, "damn, he's right again!"

Thanks to dab for starting this thread. :cheers:

Immediate improvement.

I'm not sure that focusing on the support hand is the key, it's just that I'm not focusing on trying to get the perfect grip and draw the gun just this certain way. Focus on something else and the gun just comes out. Cool!

• 2 months later...