Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carpal Tunnel - dealing with it

Solvability

I had the surgery on both hands in November. I was a jerk and went back to work too early. I was changing a boiler with stitches still in my hand. Joy of being self employed. I have developed arthritis in my right hand with severe pain all the time in the thumb.

If things do not improve, I will never shoot a pistol again. It has been a very long Winter

guys, it's not always the carpal tunnel that causes the problems. The anterior compartment muscles of the neck (scalenes) are muscles that pull our head forward when we are at a desk, driving, texting, and shooting. Over time, they get tight and start to lock up. The problem is, the nerves to our hands pass through this area. So if it is tight, we feel the problem in our fingers or hands. This is why so many people with "CTS" get the surgery and get no appreciable results.

Sometimes, all it takes is some chiropractic work of the neck, along with stretching of those muscles and re-training posture. I have seen piles of people helped with no drugs or surgery. I know not everyone is pro-natural health care, and that's fine. Lets not turn this into a flame thread. If anyone is interested to learn more about it (or how chiropractic care cured my shooter's elbow and tendonitis) I'd be happy to help answer questions.

guys, it's not always the carpal tunnel that causes the problems. The anterior compartment muscles of the neck (scalenes) are muscles that pull our head forward when we are at a desk, driving, texting, and shooting. Over time, they get tight and start to lock up. The problem is, the nerves to our hands pass through this area. So if it is tight, we feel the problem in our fingers or hands. This is why so many people with "CTS" get the surgery and get no appreciable results.

Sometimes, all it takes is some chiropractic work of the neck, along with stretching of those muscles and re-training posture. I have seen piles of people helped with no drugs or surgery. I know not everyone is pro-natural health care, and that's fine. Lets not turn this into a flame thread. If anyone is interested to learn more about it (or how chiropractic care cured my shooter's elbow and tendonitis) I'd be happy to help answer questions.

Totally agree. I use Chiro on a regular basis and acupuncture. At this point, I would consider a Witch Doctor or VooDoo practitioner if I thought it would help ;)

I have 2 DCMs I use. One for my lower back the other works my extremities. They each use a different approach and they both know about the other.

I have developed carpal tunnel in my right (dominant) wrist - anyone had to deal with and treat this - any suggestions. Pain in the palm area and numbness on the sides of a couple of fingers - no measurable loss of grip strength. Other than surgery my Dr was not much help.

Thoughts?

I developed it about 15 years back so I had to learn to mouse with my left hand.... then I got it in that hand too.

I have tendonitis and CTS almost all the time. Icing the wrist helps some, wearing braces helps some, but it's basically a chronic disease. Surgery is the only permanent solution.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I developed tendonitis in my hands at age 24 while working at UPS. For me, nothing worked until I started doing some serious weight lifting. It was explained to me by my physical therapist as a vicious cycle:

1) You develop some pain and stop using your muscles

2) The muscles atrophy from lack of use, leading to more pain.

The key for me was low rep, high weight exercises for arms, hands and shoulders.

I would also say, I had tendonitis, NOT carpal tunnel. Tendonitis has all the pain of carpal tunnel, but none of the nerve damage, and that is key. If you truly have nerve damage, it will not go away without surgery. Only a doctor can tell you if you have nerve damage by doing nerve conduction studies. Mine always came up negative, so that was nice.

ProTip: Also try moving your mouse to the left side of your desk and let that left hand do a bit of work.

Had surgery middle of November after being told I had severe CP. I already knew that but test conformed it. Face of thumb numb, face and one side of trigger finger numb, most all of middle finger numb and one side and face of ringer finger. Surgery was done in the office and took about of 15 minutes. Once the anesthetic left about 4 hours later most all of the numbness was gone but it started to come back the next day only half as bad. It got better each week and a month later only the middle finger had some numbness on the face of the finger. I started shooting open a month after the surgery. It has now been three months and the middle finger is almost normal, probably another couple of weeks and it will be normal. I have a little scar tissue where the incision was made but that is nothing compared to what I had before

Get the surgery