Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Match .45ACP

prk

I have a Witness Elite Match in 9mm , am I asking for trouble if I get the .45ACP upper for it? My buddy had one a few years ago and the slide CRACKED, I'll have to check the build date on mine but I think it's 09 or 10. I'll prob only shoot reduced power loads right at around 170PF and use the witness 14lb recoil spring. Am I going to screw up or mess up my perfectly tuned 9mm? Same question, if I can find a .45ACP Limited upper and swap it on my .40 Limited.

I'm guessing it was , as it was a few years ago. So you think I'll be fine, if I just stay away from the round slide? Anybody with a Match or Limited in .45ACP - any problems or issues? I love my Tanfoglio's but haven't shot one in a .45 - I'm guessing they shoot pretty soft considering the heft of these guns.

prk,

Have a Hunter in 45 and you are correct, even with heavy loads the recoil is quite mild. My one piece of advice is that you replace the recoil spring with something like 16 to 18 lbs. This smoothed out the operation on mine and I did not have to chase my brass.

Best Wishes,

10mmjunkie

I'm guessing it was , as it was a few years ago. So you think I'll be fine, if I just stay away from the round slide? Anybody with a Match or Limited in .45ACP - any problems or issues? I love my Tanfoglio's but haven't shot one in a .45 - I'm guessing they shoot pretty soft considering the heft of these guns.

I have a match in 10mm and it's holding up fine. If you spring them properly they should last a long time in any caliber.

GSRswapandslow,

Why not get a match barrel from EAA (comes in 6in) and have a local gunsmith thread it for you? For under $300 you can get a conversion to 9mm and still have your 45. This is one of the things I love about the Witness pistols is that you can change calibers, barrel lengths and sights at very minimum cost. Currently on my Hunter I have a 6in 10mm & 45 plus a Limited 40 S&W. Plan on picking up another limited top end in 9mm by the end of the year. All shoot off the same frame with the same grip and trigger.

Only SIG offers so much versatility and they are limited to only 40 S&W, 357 SIG, 9mm & 22. Cost of doing it is much higher and I would not hunt with any of these calibers unless forced to. Though SIG does make threaded barrels for suppressed applications.

Though I do not own a suppressor I fired a number of them in my military days. If you have not already done so go shoot one. Most people who I know who have suppressors are unhappy because they are not really all that quiet. Those that are are 22s or fitted to single shot rifles.

Don't give up on your witness just yet.

Best Wishes,

10mmjunkie

you def haven't shot a quality suppressor if you feel they aren't that quiet.... a suppressed 9mm shooting 147gr or 153 rounds is VERY quiet... a .45acp is VERY quiet as well

and I've thought about the 6" barrel and threading it...and made post regarding it...but honestly, i'm just not a huge fan of my witness at this point and just wanna get something different.