Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKA 1919 magizine problem

jcarr

Hello - I'm looking for some help, I just bought a MKA 1919 from Firebird Precision and brought it to the range for the first time yesterday. Both of the magazines that came with gun fail to grab the last or sometimes last two rounds in the magazine. I shot probabaly 30 to 40 rounds and neither magazine ever operated properly. Also, when then the slide is locked to the rear and I insert an empty magazine the slide release button works fine. However, if there are rounds in the magazine the slide release button doesn't work. It's like the button disengages. It's extremely frustrating because I just spent what I would consider a lot of money for a gun that I cant get to work properly. Any help that anyone can offer would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

1) Try a couple of different brands of ammo, high-brass, low-brass etc. Shotgun ammo varies in quality and performance a lot.

2) Call Firebird - you paid for a custom built shotgun, so the guys who built it will be the best ones to advise you on making it run 100%.

3) DO NOT DREMEL ON ANYTHING!!!

Hello - I'm looking for some help, I just bought a MKA 1919 from Firebird Precision and brought it to the range for the first time yesterday. Both of the magazines that came with gun fail to grab the last or sometimes last two rounds in the magazine. I shot probabaly 30 to 40 rounds and neither magazine ever operated properly. Also, when then the slide is locked to the rear and I insert an empty magazine the slide release button works fine. However, if there are rounds in the magazine the slide release button doesn't work. It's like the button disengages. It's extremely frustrating because I just spent what I would consider a lot of money for a gun that I cant get to work properly. Any help that anyone can offer would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

1, you gun is not broken in yet, fire a few low recoil sluggs through her. After that fully dissemble you gun, especially the receiver, check for metal shavings, keep in mind you have 3rd word engineering...Firebird does not fit every part. In the past the top of the bolt had sharp edges,with mine it shaved some material off the top of the receiver, It was necessary for me to smooth out both areas, also sharp edges by the extractor groove in chamber, check for that smooth out if necessary.

Finally reassemble very wet with your favorite lube..return to range and test fire...mine runns 2 3/4 EQ reliably. PS be careful on disassembly to have the bolt pulled back slightly when you split the halfs of receiver or damage to feed ramps can occur.

I concur. I thought the mags were the problem on mine. They were not. The bolt was catching the receiver so much that it was short stroking enough to make it seem like it was the mags. I agree, dissassemble, mke sure everything is mirrror smooth lube it REALLY well nd go shoot it til its broke in. Jim also recommended running a box or so of high powered loads through it to assist with break in. Take it apart and polish and grind anything that needs it first though so you don't end up making anything worse. After I did this the "mag" problems went away. My gun still likes 1300fps AA's the best and the mags keep up fine. Good luck.

I have had good luck shooting Winchester AA ammo 7 1/2, 1 1/8 oz., 1300 fps, 2 3/4"...I am lucky and have had zero problems to date. I also just received the 10 round mags from Firebird and they work great ( they have the new springs).

Edited by compshootfl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones advice...So I disassembled the gun for cleaning and when I did, there was lots of metal shavings and I can see that the plastic V-shaped feed ramp (it's actually part of the the lower receiver) is COMPLETELY CHEWED up! Also the slide relase button will still not function with a loaded magazine and I have still only fired maybe 30 rounds through the gun!

Not really sure where to go from here.

Edited by jcarr

Just want to give credit where credit is due. I spoke with Jim from Firebird Precision today. Sounds like the feeding ramp being chewed up is my fault. That being said, its still operable and Jim working on helping me with one his own aftermarket replacements in the future. As for the other issues I was having with the gun, I gotta hand it to Jim. He spent probably 45 mins or so with me on the phone discussing what needed to be done to fix the stock magazine issue I was having with the gun and finished by saying if it didn't work for me he would trade the mags out for me. So I hung up, followed his suggestions and about 5 minutes later I had two magazines operating at 100%! I'm probably preaching to the choir on this site, but if your conisdering custom build I would strongly reccomend Firebird. Having someone there to to talk you off the ledge and sit down to work out your issues, should any arise, is really like having an added insurance policy. Thanks.

Jon Carr

So why was the feed ramp damaged? What did Jim say the cause was?

Pictures?

If you separate the receiver halves and dont keep the bolt pulled back at the feed ramps get smashed by the bolt.

I understand that, I just wondered if it was something other than improper dissassembly.

So why was the feed ramp damaged? What did Jim say the cause was?

Pictures?

If you separate the receiver halves and dont keep the bolt pulled back at the feed ramps get smashed by the bolt.

I understand that, I just wondered if it was something other than improper dissassembly.

No, I believe it was improper dissassembly