Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I ask myself "Why am I rushing?"

I'm finding that rushing is the major reason why I blow stages.

"Why am I rushing?" Is the question I am asking during practice and at matches. For me it seems to be the root of poor performance right now. I'm a mid-level shooter and feel that this may be the "wall" a lot of people spend years trying to get over.

What is being said in my head when I'm rushing and what I know logically is true.

Internal voices - Logical reality voices...

• "I'm going to push this stage just a little bit faster". - The only thing this proves is that pushing doesn't make me any faster
  • That guy ripped through that section, I'll do the same thing. - I know shooting another person's match doesn't work.
  • Boy that mover/turner/flasher moves fast I'd better get on it quicker than usual. - There is always time for transition or everyone else will be missing too.
  • That activator popper/steel is calibrated really high, I'll make sure it's going down before transitioning and then try to catch up. - Take the time to make the solid hit then transition as usual.
  • That was a sloppy draw, I've got to make up time. - That leads to pushing and bad mojo downstream from this point.

It seems that running through a stage there should be a feeling of waiting which may be where the "slow is fast" saying comes from. Waiting for movers, waiting for the sights to get to the target, waiting for recoil recovery. This way you are ahead of the gun and remain in control.

Does it feel like waiting for the rest of you?

Should I cultivate this waiting feeling by having my eyes ahead of the gun?

Is this the way forward to speed?

DNH

Being fast comes from eliminating all wasted movement in a given technique, and repeating it until it is done subconsciously.

It doesn't feel like waiting, although it can feel slow.

In practice, obsess over how long it takes you to do things.

At the match, just shoot. Forget about time. Yours, and everyone else's.

There is nothing you can do to be faster than you are on match day, so you might as well just shoot.

Being fast comes from eliminating all wasted movement in a given technique, and repeating it until it is done subconsciously.

There is nothing you can do to be faster than you are on match day, so you might as well just shoot.

BOOM! There it is. (The last line is especially killer.)

This one was a recent and very real eye opener for me though saying it and living it up to it can be two different things.

I've really connected with these comments. Thanks a lot!

I feel justified in my desire to dissect my shooting during practice. I actually like becoming more efficient by obsessing about time and consistency.

This has also reinforced that the correct way to approach a match is to "just shoot".

Now I can truly enjoy the adrenaline rush at a match.

Shootin' is just too much fun!

Much obliged,

DNH

No no, no, no, no! Brian, you have got it all wrong.

WHOOP! There it is! :goof::roflol:

No no, no, no, no! Brian, you have got it all wrong.

WHOOP! There it is! :goof::roflol:

We BOOM! everything in my neighborhood.

:sight:

Been there, done that, mess around. It happened to me during a match last January, I was rushing to get to the range,when I get to the range everything is jacked up, I thought I knew the stages well, in short I was a mess on the 1st 4 stages. Until, I sat down for awhile before my last stage, I assess everything, I visualize what to do (grip, stance etc.)and took some deep, calming breaths and told myself before I was called to just to do everything right, no rushing, and just shoot. It was a 30 round stage, with 3 no shoots, and I took it for 28 sec with no D's and miss, and after my run there's this feeling that I knew I did a good job. Ever since that day, no rushing for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Next time, Im going to nail this in my head.

Next time, Im going to nail this in my head.

Forget next time, don't wait to nail in your head...do it efficiently :D

At the match, just shoot. Forget about time. Yours, and

everyone else's.

I have been rushing as well in matches , and used this advice over the last weekend and shot very well and placed . It definitely was more enjoyable shooting this way.Thank you, JP

• 2 weeks later...

This is great advice, as for myself I have been back and forth this year shooting out of control and blowing stages and sometimes what I call shooting on auto-pilot, that where the subconsciously auto-pilot will come in and I will shoot a stage above my level :rolleyes: Now I just half to program myself to shoot on auto-pilot on every stage :surprise:

I know I can allow this to happen.

Even though this is not my thread, I just wanted to report on the match I shot today and what I did, night before the match I started trying to keep myself com and focused, it seamed to work because I sleped good, I got up in plenty of time to do everything I need to do before the match, also stoped and ate breakfast, as I was eating I could tell I was eating slow and felt real com. got to match 1 hour early loaded mags and so forth, now here is the big thing for me I shot the match with 1 mike, that was a big deal for me latley, my new gun runs so fast I have been out of control, so my times were right in there and hits good, and I my have shot the best classifier ever. So what I have come up with is, you prep your gun and gear, why not prep yourself. I hope this gives someone else insight :cheers:

Mr. Death,

You provided insight on a common oversight for me. Prepping the self before the match!

You just highlighted the source of my perceived "plateau" and a lack of "intensity" when I shot yesterday.

The last couple weeks have had stress and sleeplessness - the job. :blink:

I couldn't get in control or in the groove all day during the match. The brain and body were running on empty.

Disappointed but not down about my performance.

Thanks,

DNH