Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble Burning CDs ... WTF?

rhino

I'm trying to burn a CD to backup the photos I took at the 2004 Indiana Section Match, but none of my software is allowing me to do it.

For instance, in Roxio Easy CD Creator, when I try to burn the CD, it tells me I don't have the right kind of media in the CD-RW drive. I've tried several different blank CDs in two different brands and sizes (the same as I've always used in the past), but no dice.

I've tried all of the hardware diagnostics I have available, and Windows and everything else is reporting that my CD-RW is working fine.

The drive will read CD-ROMs and music CDs without any trouble.

Any ideas?

Don't feel too all alone: My CD software (which, oddly, works all the time)(Adaptec Create-a-CD) sometimes spits out the CD it's writing to about mid-stream and I just shove it back in and... it still records the whole file. :huh: It's just one of those ethereal anomalies I chuckle at (while gritting teeth sometimes) and know that things could be worse. :P

Watch out for re-writable CDs, though. They're dogs now and then and can produce the phenomenon you're referring to.

Rhino,

Are you dumping the files to CD individually or in folders? Is the amount of content small enough to fit on the CD? Are you attempting to burn at 1x or to speeddemon along? Are you doing anything else on the computer? Is there a new driver for the CD burner?

When burning lots of photos --- to CD and now to DVD --- I usually set it to burn as slowly as it can at bedtime and walk away. I make sure that it's not the night that Norton will do a full system check, and that all other non-essential software is shut down....

I quit using Roxio and now just use the XP copy to CD feature. Works every time - knock on wood. If you are copying a bunch of photos in a folder try opening the folder and then

Go to edit

Select All

Copy & select the drive with the CD from the pop up window

Okay ... I just tried the Merlin Method and when opens the Write to CD Wizard, it won't believe me that there is a blank CD in the drive.

That's essentially the same problem Roxio was giving to me ...

Uh-oh!

Hold on...you do have a CD writer in there, don't you? :P

I'm also using Nero and haven't looked anywhere else. Found some bug (I think) in using XP's drag and drop feature so I don't use it anymore.

What does your burning software say when you click on "Media Info" or something with the blank CD in?

And what was the last thing you did before the problem occured? (no..no..before you hammered the cpu... :P )

Seriously, hope you get it figured out soon. ;)

MC ... you are so dangerously close to the truth of my problem that I am willing to give you the A hit and no no-shoot!

Here's my big confession of the day. After all of the advice (and some very extensive help in a PM from SiG Lady), I solved the problem this morning.

Wait for it ...

All of this time, I was using the wrong drive. I was trying to burn the CDs in my DVD player.

Now, I'd like to claim I have a new computer and claim ignorance, but this computer is almost three years old and I've never made that mistake before. I have no idea why I suddenly believed (and I really believed it) that my CD-RW drive was on top and the DVD player was below it. In fact, the DVD is on top and always has been.

I would call myself a moron, but that would be impugning the intelligence and problem solving skills of most morons.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me!