Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finishing the Fencing Season

Last weekend I managed and competed in the State Games of NC Fencing Events. I helped with the administration of the Saber event, refereed some of the Foil event, and competed in the Epee event. :wacko:

The events went pretty well but ran over time wise as a whole. Managing the stress of being the competition manager and competing in an event I ended up earning a silver medal in the Veterans category. :sight: Now I am qualified to compete in the State Games of America in August 2013. :D

I will be heading into the US Fencing Nationals next week and competing in the Veterans (40-49) Foil and Epee events. :sight: If things go well I hope to finish in the top 16 in those events. I hope that they go really well and I end up in the top 8 or better. :unsure:

After the US Nationals it will be back to shooting competitions. ;)

Edited by Blueridge

Last weekend I managed and competed in the State Games of NC Fencing Events. I helped with the administration of the Saber event, refereed some of the Foil event, and competed in the Epee event. :wacko:

The events went pretty well but ran over time wise as a whole. Managing the stress of being the competition manager and competing in an event I ended up earning a silver medal in the Veterans category. :sight: Now I am qualified to compete in the State Games of America in August 2013. :D

I will be heading into the US Fencing Nationals next week and competing on the Veterans (40-49) Foil and Epee events. :sight: If things go well I hope to finish in the top 16 in those events. I hope that they go really well and I end up in the top 8 or better. :unsure:

After the US Nationals it will be back to shooting competitions. ;)

Congradulatios blueridge. The only fencing I do involves Barbed Wired. Here's to you :sight: Later rdd

Today went good and bad. I came into the Foil event seeded 16th going into pools. I went 3-2 in the pool and came out 3rd in my pool and 10th overall going into direct elimination bracket. I faced the 23rd seed in my direct elimination and unfortunately lost 5-10. When the event was over I finished 17th in the event. I had figured that I had a good shot at the top 16 going into the competition, and after coming out of the seeding pools thought that I had a chance to make the top 8. Due to the loss in my first direct elimination I dropped to 17th overall, but given the level of competition the day went well for me.

I still have one more competition to go in the nationals, so I have a chance to do better.

Edited by Blueridge

Well I have finished the second competition that I participated in. I came into the (Vet. 40) Epee event seeded 23rd out of 52. My pool result was 1-4 and was worried that I would not make the top 80% that go into the direct eliminations. When the overall results were tabulated I made the cut just barely, coming out in the pool result standings at 41st (with the cutoff being 42nd). I went into my bracket of 64 direct elimination bout against the 24th seed and earned a win with the score if 10-8. I then went into the bracket of 32 direct elimination bout against the 9th seed and did not fare so well. In a hard fought bout I lost with a score of 3-10 (That sounds pretty bad, but the bout was better than the score shows). I finished 32nd in the event and the fencer that defeated me in direct eliminations finished tied for 3rd.

All in all it was a good day.

The next day I assisted my clubs coach with three of our younger fencers who were competing that day. It was the first Nationals for all of them, and with 112 strips in the convention center that they could have been assigned to both of us were needed to help support them.

All three fenced well, but unfortunately only two of the three made the 80% cut to get into the direct elimination rounds. The two that made it gave their opponents tough bouts. One finished with a score of 10-15, and the other finished with a score of 13-15. Both fencers were left-handed, which helped them against both their opponents. They finished 94th & 95th respectively out of 130 competitors. They were pleased with their first showing at nationals.

Edited by Blueridge

When I first saw this thread, my first thought was that the fencing season is just getting started. Now that the crops are in, it is time to get all the fencing/post/gates fixed up. :roflol: :roflol:

Well done Blueridge. :cheers:

Edited by Poppa Bear