Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1500yd+++ rifle caliber?

landshark45

get a savage F class in 6.5x284 its way cheaper than a 338 on won't beat your shoulder up. if you use the berger 140gr bullet and launch it at 2950fps then is will drop out of sub sonic at 1800 yards with is over a mile, and if you have the right scope with enough adjustment and a 20moa base then you can make adjustment out to it.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to rule out the .338 Lapua, the I would think about the 7mm Ultra Mag, the .300-378 or the .338-378.

Something with high ballistic coeffient and a massive case is required to sustain any significant energy at those ranges.

I recently built a precision rifle in .223 and it is great out to about 500-600 yds.

Any farther and the 69gr SMK has nothing left energy-wise and trajectory starts to drop dramatically.

I think a .308 will extend that quite a bit, but if I'm engaging anything beyond 1500 yds. the.338 is the cartridge of choice for me.

Edited by 38superman

• 2 weeks later...

The best I have seen for hunting at extended long range would be the 338/408 Cheytac improved I also like the 375 Cheytac improved. I have taken deer and elk with a 338 lapua improved out past 1500 yards and a couple 1 mile bench rest wins with the lapua.

• 1 year later...

I shoot a 6x47 and 6.5x47 competively. Furthest I shoot them at a local steel match is 1350yds. 1500yds with either caliber, I'm wasting my bullets. Two years ago had a 7SAUM/Berger180 Hybrids at 2950, still would not consider it as a 1500yd caliber. By consistent, hitting a full size IPSC target at 1500yds in ANY condition at least 3/5. If I had a place to shoot 1500yds, I would pick a 338 Edge. Even with a 338 Edge, as RBros mentioned it would take a ton of practice to be effective at 1500yds, big calibers are not as easy to drive

get a savage F class in 6.5x284 its way cheaper than a 338 on won't beat your shoulder up. if you use the berger 140gr bullet and launch it at 2950fps then is will drop out of sub sonic at 1800 yards with is over a mile, and if you have the right scope with enough adjustment and a 20moa base then you can make adjustment out to it.

I believe that rifle has a long action so you can load the VLD's and they should do fairly well. But as I noted earlier, the barrel life of the 6.5 Norma really sucks. For a hunting rifle that's OK and serious F-class shooters are prepared to replace the barrel every year, but for most of us that's not such a great deal.

7 WSM with 180 gr Berger or JLK bullets around the 2950 FPS, out of a good brand name barrel will get you further than what you are asking for.

Just make sure to take your time and cool it every 5 to 10 rounds depend on the barrel diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned reloading cost was a significant factor- barrel life costs will trump all with the most viable calibers if you are going to shoot much at all?

300wm would be the best bet imho for barrel life:load costs:hit average ratio...that said, it will take work to get consistent on even a large plate at 1500 in variable wind.

338edge would be next on my list- but in a different package- single shot- repeaters need to be built on a big action if you want to seat the heavy bullets anywhere near where they should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting to 1500 is much different than shooting there regularly. 300wm will get you to 1500, just like 308win will get you to 1000. If I were shooting regularly @1000, I'd be shooting a 300 or 7 mag minimum. 1500 yards regularly, I wouldn't go any smaller than the 338LM or norma mag, better yet one of the cheytacs or barretts. Anything less would be an exercise in frustration.

Again, I'm not saying you can't get there with less than that but shooting at or around a mile is no joke.

Getting to 1500 is much different than shooting there regularly.

Lots of good info in this thread, and its nice to see no arguing yet! Really like this forum. My opinion is anything 6 or 6.5 mm would be hard to make an ethical kill on big game with at 1500. Probably could tip over an antelope! If there is something out there I'd love to see the load and ballistics though. 7mm are the most efficient bullet till you get into the bigger chey tec's or 50's of course. A 7mm 180 Berger is quite a beast coming out of a 284 mag and 30" barrel but don't see enough energy in my loads to kill a big deer or elk/bear at that range. The 7 RUM is one of my favorite hunting guns (probably favorite actually) and shooting 180's with a 28" barrel may get you very close to what you're looking for, but at that point you can run almost everything the same cost wise and shoot the 338 edge (dies may be slightly more but that is so minor it's hardly worth considering). Brass, bullets, powder, etc will all be so close, and gun component costs will be pretty much identical as well. I shoot mine with 300 gr Begers and wouldn't hesitate to take anything I hunt (up to elk) at the ranges you're talking. I'm doing 2950+ out of the barrel and feel very safe with this load. I do have a mag system for it but generally am single feeding for max length on my long throated chamber. Keep us updated on whatever you get, and most of all have fun! Remember there is no one perfect gun, so I prefer to build specialized pieces of equipment that do one thing really well (my 338 edge has a 33" barrel with the brake and weighs in at the max western hunting weight so not exactly a carry gun but it shoots).

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The big issue with shooting at these long distances is SEEING your MISSES.  The big heavies produce a larger dust cloud which make is easier to get on target.  The 6.5's are almost invisible at extra long distances.

On 6/18/2012 at 8:53 PM, landshark45 said:

Im looking to have a rifle built for 1500yds+ and I want something more than a paper puncher at this range. Options other than 338 Lapua is what im looking at.

1. I want to see if there is other calibers with similar preformance that might be cheaper to reload??

Like .338 RUM or 7mmRUM. Or even .300RUM

2. I want a catridge with enough energy at 1500yds to hit a 200lb whitetail and be effective. Wont be used for hunting but just want the capability of hard hits at long range. Trying to rule out the paper punchers.

Reloading cost is one of my major concerns. Thats why im thinking .338 .30 or 7mm Ultra mag loadings.

Needs a very high BC with minimal wind drift.

Open to any chambering that can meet these requirements and still find components easily. ie. midway or brownells

You indicate reloading costs and component availability a concern. Hard to beat the 300WM with those restrictions. I don't think the whinny will hold you back any with practice. Long barrel life and brass everywhere. Here are a couple of reads on bullets and comparisons.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

http://www.longrangeonly.com/300-win-mag-vs-30-nosler-comparison/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im about to start a new build, I have been playing with a 300wm for over a year and really like it.  I recently let my brother take it home though and I have to start over.  I looked at a lot of options and have found myself right back at 300wm again.  Reloading costs are low, sometimes less than half of 300 Norma and 338 Lapua.  According to Brian Litz, the 300wm with the 230 bergers (about .719bc) will outperform a 338 Lapua to 1500 and are within 5% beyond that.  I started playing with the 225 gr Hornady ELD-M's, which have a significantly higher bc at .777, when I run them on the calculator, they show supersonic out to 1800 and that was loaded hot, but not max.  If you buy factory ammo, its half the price of the larger calibers.  

I'm looking at trying to put together a defiance action with a bartlein barrel.  I kept my AICS stock, so I will put it on that. The 300 Norma is amazing and I have really wanted to build up one of those, but starting completely over with a new caliber is time and money.  I have been able to acquire most of my 300wm brass for about a $1.05 a stick, all Nosler or Norma.  The 300 Norma will outrun the Win Mag, but recoil is noticeably more and if it costs too much to shoot, then it just sits most of the time like my BMG. 

Smokecloud, I agree with your choice with the 300wm.

Especially since I heard on the very hush hush not so top secret rumor line about how the military is getting it's precision 300wm ammo loaded to above SAMMI specs to the point where the pressures make it a no-no for sale to civilians. The scuttlebutt is that it out performs the 338 Lapua at distance.

Or did I only have a wonderful dream about that?

• 4 months later...