Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 12 ga. slugs for accuracy?

mikeAZ

My smooth bore shot guns (JM Mossberg/Akdal).... I've not found a slug that's accurate as I would like.. I understand most arn't going to be too accurate at say 100 yards. From what I've been looking at the "Foster" style would seem to be the best bet?. "Slugs" may be the only thing that makes it cost wise to reload in 12 guage these days. Anybody still reloading slugs?. What are you using?. Chokes, selection going to make a big difference?. I'm using "LM" and "MC"....

Edited by mike NM

For me it wasn't just accuracy but reliable availability. I found this guy:

http://www.gardnerscache.com/12ga_slug_reload_kit_100pc_.html

His kit comes with reload data and once fired hulls. I'm using a roll crimper from BPI to load mine and it doesn't work on the once fired hulls so I ended buying primed new hulls, wads, and over cards, and just a box of slugs from Gardner. I cut the hull down to the correct length, had meter some powder in, wad, slug, over card, then crimp with a drill. Actually works really well and doesn't take long at all. It took a little testing to find a load my shotgun liked, but now I can make rounds whenever I need too and I didn't have to buy another press or start casting lead.

Here's the roll crimper I use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730142/bpi-roll-crimper-12-gauge

Thanks, I'd already found that site... Reading the site info and other site's info.. seems as if it states two different opinions.... #1. to use with rifled barrels then #2. that they are o.k. for smooth bores???? ... added to my confusion....as they are called "saboted" slugs which are not as accurate in a smooth bore shotgun ??... From what I understand???? the best accuracy in a smooth bore shotgun comes from the "Foster" style and especially the type with attached plastic fins. I've found those but the bare slug/fin comobo is about $1.50 + shipped + powder + hull and primer. May as well buy loaded ammo for that price????..Our max distance for slugs is 50/75 yds... I'm presently shooting cheepo round ball slugs that seem to go where they wish.. I'm just plain ignorant about slugs...

Those Lyman's are Foster style slugs. They're saboted because they sit inside the plastic wad. Look at the profile of the slug, it looks like a dart. The front is heavy and the back skirt is hollow so the center of gravity keeps it going reasonably straight. Just like an airgun pellet. Same shape. You would get better stability and accuracy out of a rifled barrel, but we all use smooth bores in our games. So we take what we can for those few slug targets we have to engage. I've been very pleased with the accuracy of this slug out of my shotguns. I shoot mine out of a LM choke and also a cylinder barrel, both do very well.

If your primary concern is accuracy and you haven't found something you like this avenue might be worth a try. Otherwise keep trying different brands till you find one you like and buy a bunch of it.

My big concern was availability and it's solved that for me.

Good luck

Edited by kevinj308

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using 1oz. slugs cast from "pure" lead out of the Lee 1 oz. mold and get very good results. Our target distances are very close to yours but we do shoot out to 100 with some regularity at full size IPSC targets.

This is a very ecnomical load that I can produce for way less than even bird shot rounds because I have to purchase the shot vs. casting the slugs.

I don't have the load data here, but would be happy to share.

Mike