Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock cross generation conversion

wes777

So there are a lot of guys who will take a reciever and throw a different top end on it. Can I use a gen 3 top end on a gen 4 reciever? And vice versa? I love everything about my 34, except that I want the gen 4 grip angle and texture.... And I could always add texture if it wasn't sufficient. For arguments sake, I would be doing the swap with a gen4 g17.

I've never tried the total swap, but IIRC, the head of the Gen4 guiderod is bigger in diameter. Will that be a problem? I wouldn't think so, in that the Gen3 guiderod will probably seat in the larger recess and never move. That's what happens when people put a steel or tungsten guiderod in a Gen4. It's the same Gen3 rod; just uses the reducing ring on the front side.

So, I am 99% sure that a Gen3 top could be put on a Gen4 bottom. I am 99.9% sure that the reverse is not true. The Gen4's guiderod should NOT fit the Gen3 frame.

A Gen3 slide will fit/function on a Gen4 frame, but not vice versa.

Here's a 22c Gen3 slide on top of a Gen4 35 frame. I ran this set up for a month last summer without a single glitch. I used a standard Gen3 22 barrel, not the compensated one.

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

I've converted my G22 Gen4 to run a G35 gen3 topend with a BarSto.

Just pulled off the top end and called it a day. Use the old Gen 3 lower with an advantage arms kit now.

BTW, no difference in POI...

I'm happy! :)

Can you run a gen 2 slide on a gen 3 frame without issues? Have a gen 2 17 was thinking about getting the Jager open kit and running that slide on a 3 pin gen 3 frame I have(since 9 major isn't recommended for the two pin frames). No noticeable difference cycling the slide or dryfiring

There are no structural differences between the Gen2 and Gen3 frames (It was primarily the addition of fingergrooves, thumbrest, and the tactical light rail). There were some changes in the locking block design, but the surfaces that interact with the top end are identical.

There are no structural differences between the Gen2 and Gen3 frames (It was primarily the addition of fingergrooves, thumbrest, and the tactical light rail). There were some changes in the locking block design, but the surfaces that interact with the top end are identical.

+1 on that running a Gen 2 G24 top on a Gen 3 frame is no problem.