Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TENNIS ELBOW

beavertail

I feel ya brother. In 2006 I shot bowling pin matches like crazy with a .460 Rowland and a .454 Casull and wound up shooting all 2007 (including the SS Nats) with a brace on my right forearm. It sucks!

I just had the shots into the left elbow. That usually calms it down, until I lift something heavy like steel poppers at the range. If it keeps up, going for the surgery, well maybe not since I read post #30 of the other thread.....

Edited by Roadkill751

Its been something I have come to accept as part of my life. Too many years of running chainsaws and polesaws. Forced me to stop shooting my rifles and large caliber handguns. Recently have been considering surgery. Good luck, hope you can manage to find some relief.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the tips and the link. i had my elbow back in check.....then i was overseas dragging heavy bags around and it had flared back up. now it is killing me again....ofcourse right in the shooting season.

cheers

eddie

Pred is a steroid anti-inflammatory, and depending on brand a very good one. Unfortunately, pred is a temporary fix, it will alleviate the inflammation but will not relieve the underlying factors that have precipitated the inflammation. Your MD is hoping that during the temporary relief of inflammation, your body will fix the underlying causes itself. More likely it will not, and at the end of your course of pred the inflammation will return and the pain with it.

Tennis elbow, golf elbow (lateral and medial epicondylitis) arise from the same condition; strain of the musculature during activity resulting in shorting of the muscle fibers, distortion of the connective fascia layer, and a concurrent avulsion of the tendon fibers, the fibers that tie the muscle to the bone.

Successful treatment for tennis elbow consists of alleviating the inflammation, relaxing and lengthening the shortened muscles fibers, realigning the fascia layer, and allowing the body to make these changes permanent with rest and moderate activity.

Here's hoping your body can heal itself while you are on the pred. If it does not, consider adding the other components of treatment.

Best to you,

Jim, D.C. (Tar)

Edited by Sleepswithdogs