Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laying on something for start position .

Hi.

I'm thinking about building something that you can fully lay on flat , back against it for starting position . What do you use and how do you build one ? Thanks

We've used a camping cot... it was a bit awkward for our larger shooters & those with back problems. Almost an unfair competitive advantage really. It's one of those things that's been tried, and I'd prefer never to see it again as it has nothing to do with DVC.

Hi.

I'm thinking about building something that you can fully lay on flat , back against it for starting position . What do you use and how do you build one ? Thanks

I've only shot a couple of matches with a laying start but in every case it has been from what is effectively a very short plywood table about the size of "single" size mattress. Biggest thing it to make it heavy & sturdy to accommodate obese shooters.

Thanks for the input guys .Anyone made the bed out of 2x4 and plywood easy way but strong enought for big guys.Pics would be appreciated .

Thanks again .

A few years ago, I shot a match at Old Bridge, NJ that used a prone start. I had a video of it somewhere but have lost track of it. Basically, you started laying on a low bed (plywood on 2x4 about 12" off the ground). Pistol was in a box a few feet away. You roll out of bed, grab the gun and proceed to shoot at three targets under a wall. Then, stand up and start moving and shooting the rest of the targets.

I'd make it like I was making a bench, just make the legs really short so the top is about the height of a cot.

That's problaby the easiest way to do . Thanks.

I use a camping cot. Easy to transport and easy to set-up and tear down.

To make things more interesting, I start the shooter flat on his back with a towel

over his face, gun on nearby "nightstand". Starting in the dark helps to simulate that disoriented just-woke-up feeling.

Just one caution. Starting from a prone start can create retention problems for people. To avoid potential DQ issues, you might want to consider putting the gun on something nearby rather than leaving it in the holster.