Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Lubrication

I attended a Pat Rogers carbine course where a SWAT operator was real picky about lube on his AR and didn't like it to be too lubed up. It jammed in fast and furious firing. Pat lubed it with Vagisil to make a point. And it ran.

I must be the only one thinking about this, but why was he carrying around vagisil? :blink:

I hope it was for the sole purpose of making a point about lube in the class.

I just use whatevewer 5-30 engine oil I have on hand.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

• 2 years later...

I gently touch some parts with a very expensive grease on a Qtip, lightly working special oil into the BCG.....just kidding.

I spray the crap out of it with CLP and wipe it off. It runs.

I attended a Pat Rogers carbine course where a SWAT operator was real picky about lube on his AR and didn't like it to be too lubed up. It jammed in fast and furious firing. Pat lubed it with Vagisil to make a point. And it ran.

The point was, it doesn't really matter what lube you use as long as you use enough of it.

YMMV....but I doubt it.

THIS!! I think it mainly comes down to people mentally masterbate way to much over this. Heck go over to AR15 and you can read for hours about this. I have tried a few of the wonder lubes over the years and yup, they work. And I think using grease in any real quantity may be asking for trouble. I buy BreakFree out of habit and keep the gun fairly wet. IMO it comes down to keeping it fairly clean. I have a Colt that runs filthy dirty no matter what if its lubed. My JP with the low mass group and the gas turned down needs to be fairly clean. The tighter the gun be it rifle or pistol, the more it needs to be clean. A little comon sense goes a long way.

But I laugh my ass off when I read guys have solom, deep and even passionate debates why the latest molecularly, geneticly engineered unobtainium lube laced with fairy dust is the ONLY lube that will work under allien invasions and zombie attacks.

That last paragraph is extremely funny. LMFAO. Excuse the new age acronym. :roflol: