Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ray Bradbury

Graham Smith

The last of the big three Sci Fi authors of my youth (Bradbury, Clarke, and Heinlein) has passed away.

Bradbury was by far the most complex and eloquent of the three. His writing could paint a picture in your mind of both times gone past and those yet to come. No one will ever be able to take his place.

I have always heard "The ABCs of science fiction" in regards to Asimov, Bradbury, and Clarke... it is sad to see all three have passed. My wife has "lost" two authors recently that she greatly admired, Bradbury being the most recent.

I didn't include Asimov in the group because I didn't come to his work until the 60's. Bradbury and Heinlein were the biggest draw because their work was more on the level of a kid in the 50's. Each of these four, and others, brought me a unique perspective on things. Heinlein for the adventure, Clarke for the realism, Asimov for the complexity of story, and Bradbury for the aforementioned ability to paint a picture.

For those unfortunate folks who have never read a Bradbury story, take a moment and read the first few paragraphs of one of his classics: Something Wicked This Way Comes

I have a hard-bound (complete with intact dust jacket) copy of I Sing the Body Electric!, and I cut out the front-page column in today's paper about Bradbury and stowed it in the book for future memories. He was one of my fave SF authors since childhood.

I remember reading the Illustrated Man when I was a kid. The idea of a person covered with tattoos was strange. Back then, the only tattoos you ever saw were a few military emblems on the old war vets, and maybe a few on the outlaw bikers.

Now practically everybody is running around with so may tats they could have qualified as circus freaks a couple decades ago!